Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any low carb vegetarians out there? I've been a vegetarian (and vegan) for long periods of my life, but currently I'm eating meat. We're on a low carb diet and have really benefitted from it.
We've lost a lot of excess weight and we're generally feeling great. But I'm concerned about the amount of meat that we buy and eat; it's impact on the environment, and of course the welfare of the animals… So I'm thinking about switching to a vegetarian diet again. BUT I'm afraid of gaining weight… Is there anyone here that lost weight on a veg low carb diet? What does your meal plan look like?
I know it's a lot of legumes, but still… They contain a lot more carbs then my body is used to at the moment. Any links or books to recommend? We are not exercising much (yes, I know we should…), but still lost weight… Do we need to exercise more on a veg diet? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well, the trick behind a low carb diet is that it keeps you away from a lot of processed foods which may make you more hungry (and eat more) and the low carb in of itself can suppress hormones that make you hungry. Less hungry = less eating = weight loss. Calories still make a difference at the end of the day. So, if you can meet those same goals while being a vegetarian, you should be fine.

I would stick to lower carb protein sources. Beans, dairy, eggs (if you eat them), tofu. Make sure your fat intake is still sufficient: fat keeps you full. I would stay away from higher carb staples that are in a lot of vegetarian diets: pastas, rice, etc. But potatoes (depending on how cooked and which type) can be fine if they are paired with a fat/protein source (will blunt the insulin).

I don't do strict low carb because I am too active, but I stay away from big portions of carbs, which limits some choices (rice and pasta, generally). My general meal plan:

Breakfast is usually egg frittata: eggs and lots of vegetables. Perhaps some lower fat cheese

Lunch: seitan or tofu with roasted veggies and beans

Dinner: Similar to lunch: some protein source with fibrous veggies baked/roasted and sometimes a higher carb veggie: winter squash, potato (watch serving size).

Snacks are often lower fat cheese slices and raw veg, cottage cheese with fruit (berries are lower carb, and as long as you watch portions most fruit is fine), hummus and pita, greek or full fat yogurt with fiber cereal for crunch, slices of apple and cheese.

You don't need to exercise more, but you should. Its good for you, and it allows you to eat a bit more.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Check out the book "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. It is a wonderful diet plan. He recommends you eat lots and lots of vegetables, fruits, beans, a small amount of nuts and a limited amount of starch/grain (no more than one cup serving per day of starch foods.)

The book is very eye-opening about nutrition and is very well-researched and cites a lot of studies.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Another Eat to Live rec! DH and I are on week 4 of the 6 week program. I've lost 7 of my 10 goal pounds and it's all nutrition based so we're feeling pretty darn swell.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts

I am interested in the responses too.
I've been l/o veg for over twenty years but my carb intake is too high. I have PCOS (carbs are my enemy) and have gained 100 pounds over the years
. I can't blame carbs completely as I no longer work out and I used to work out w/a trainer six days/week and cycle. Back then, I could eat as many carbs as I wanted.

I find I eat too many carbs trying to eat quick meals when I am already over hungry. My downfall are beans, rice, tortillas, and bread.

·
Registered
575 Posts
bump.

I've been a l/o vegetarian for 2.5 years and I know I've upped the carbs as a result. Now that I'm PG, I am going back to the low-carb diet I was on when PG with DS, since I had GD with that pregnancy. But I was still eating meat then, so this is going to be a bit tricky! I'd love to get more ideas about what to eat. I've been doing eggs for breakfast, beans or chickpeas for lunch, and a variety of things for dinner. I'd like to avoid the fake meat products, but sometimes I run out of ideas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did E2L very happily and successfully last spring into summer, but I have a hard time with it in the winter. It's difficult for me to enjoy cold smoothies and salads, so I do a more "MacDougall" approach during the cold months. It's a higher proportion of whole grains, less fruits, etc... I'm pretty happy between the two variations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.