Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ferritin (iron store) levels are lowwww. Only at 6.7 ... I'm almost 31 weeks pregnant and I find it near impossible to enjoy my last few weeks because I am in a constant state of anxiety, worrying about LO's well being. I was wondering if anyone else has ever had low ferritin levels such as this , and if you baby turned out to be okay....I just need a positive story :(

I'm doing everything I can now to bring the levels back up. I jsut hope I didn't do any damage letting it be this low for so long...

·
Registered
183 Posts
It is my understanding that babies get first pick of the nutrients we eat and we get the leftovers. (yes, I know that's simplifying things) Your baby has likely been getting sufficient iron, but there hasn't been any leftover for you, which is why your stores are so low.

It is also my understanding that it is during the last several weeks of pregnancy that babies begin to store up iron for after they are born. This is why premature babies are so prone to low iron, they didn't have those last few weeks to build it up. If you are concentrating on getting lots of iron now, then your baby should have access to it and be able to store plenty.

I'm not a Dr. or anything, so I could be off.. but that's how I think it works. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
smile.gif

I hope you can get your iron levels back up, you'll need it after your baby is born!
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Have you had weight loss surgery? You don't have to answer but if so, know that it's very common to have rotten ferritin levels, especially in pregnancy.

My ferritin was very hard to boost in my second pregnancy. It kept falling and falling to about 10 even with supplementation, so close to where you're at. My baby is perfectly healthy and fine but I am already working giving him iron-rich solids at 5.5 months because even though my ferritin is going up, I don't count on his iron stores being quite up to par.

At any rate, my ferritin is in the 30s now and climbing. Sometimes it just tanks in pregnancy. Ask your doc about a referral to a hematologist or about iron infusion (I do know some pregnant women have had iron infusions and no harm done!)

The thing that kept my ferritin from going completely in the toilet was heme iron supplements (Proferrin.) When I started those, it stopped dropping. They are expensive but maybe your MW or OB can write you a prescription for them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.