Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone up for another one of these?

I saw there used to be a good sized following on some of them, and I like to have someone else to talk to who understand life as a low-income mom.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Hi, I'm a low income mama. Right now the hubs and I are living on very little, and just waiting for the school loans to come in so we can be a bit more comfortable again. Jobs are extremely scarce right now, and hubby is doing schooling in hopes of becoming a physician's assistant one day. The good thing is that we have really gotten over the gimmies in recent months. We've become more resourceful and happier with making do with what we have. Still, of course it's hard. I'm writing lists about the very few necessities we can hopefully afford this month. Other than that, it's food alone for us...we can barely but gas in the car to get around town. We are surviving though, and we will continue to the best that we can.

I'd love to give advice and hear advice from others to stretch the dollars far as we can!

·
Registered
518 Posts
This is what i need! DH was laid off last fall and took a job getting paid MUCH less than what he was getting before. So much less that i can't figure out how to live on it. I don't know anyone IRL who's as bad off as me, and if i hear one more person complain about money then tell me about their latest splurge, I'll scream.

Two things bother me the most: One is that we didn't screw up to get ourselves in this situation. We did everything right, and we're still struggling. Two, it's hard being the only one--i struggle with feeling sorry for myself. I hear about friends doing all these fun things with their kids that we can't do...i get asked to do things i can't afford to do. It can be hard dealing with that sometimes.

And, oh, yeah, i just tried to pay a bill online and was told my card couldn't pay it, twice. We should have more than enough to pay it. Trying not to freak.

I apologize for being such a ray of sunshine. i've been keeping up a good front for everyone, and i think it just crumbled.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hi
Can I join. I live with my dad and we share expenses( it helps) I work full time and managed to make less than 14000 last yr. My dad wacthes my son while i work, it is the only way I could afford daycare. Daycare here costs 200-250/wk that wouldn't leave me anything for bills and rent.

Pollyanna

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I don't really consider myself as struggling right now. We're finally doing pretty good. *whew!* I understand what it's like though not to have money. It seems like there are different levels of being poor. For awhile it seemed like everyone was crying poor around me. The Aunt who is poor but going on a cruise, the sisters who are poor but have money to go clothes shopping every week, the in laws who are poor but put in a pool and were constantly buying "stuff". And DH and I were struggling to find enough money for gas, groceries and much needed car repairs.

Sometimes it helped to think about it as a choice. Like, yes, I could blow $100 on clothes this month but I choose to put it on my credit card. Or buy healthy food, or spend it on gas or fix that weird thing my car is doing so that I can feel safe when driving. When I thought of it that way, I felt so much better.

Just wanted to offer hugs and the hope that things can get better.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
Hi
Can I join. I live with my dad and we share expenses( it helps) I work full time and managed to make less than 14000 last yr. My dad wacthes my son while i work, it is the only way I could afford daycare. Daycare here costs 200-250/wk that wouldn't leave me anything for bills and rent.

Pollyanna
What a great dad! My dad doesn't do diapers, so he can't handle more than about a 1/2 hour alone with the kids!

It's funny how often i come to this particular forum, searching for others like me. Thanks for getting this thread started!

HeatheratHome--Thanks for your words of encouragement!

p.s. Bank account is fine--can't figure out why my payment wouldn't go through. Phew! We've been saying--nearly daily--for months "We can't handle anymore bad luck!!!"

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by amber913 View Post
What a great dad! My dad doesn't do diapers, so he can't handle more than about a 1/2 hour alone with the kids!

It's funny how often i come to this particular forum, searching for others like me. Thanks for getting this thread started!

HeatheratHome--Thanks for your words of encouragement!

p.s. Bank account is fine--can't figure out why my payment wouldn't go through. Phew! We've been saying--nearly daily--for months "We can't handle anymore bad luck!!!"
Is it with BOA? They pull that all the time on me - the cards will not go through even with money there or a $0 balance on the CC's.

I get the same daycare from my mom for my DD - it's the only way I make it. But I work from home now so I'm still here - just in my office.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fedupmama View Post
Is it with BOA? They pull that all the time on me - the cards will not go through even with money there or a $0 balance on the CC's.

I get the same daycare from my mom for my DD - it's the only way I make it. But I work from home now so I'm still here - just in my office.
Good! My parents watch the kids every other Saturday for us. That is a help. Childcare costs can very easily make working not worth it.

So i'm trying to figure out what BOA means... I'm trying to move all my bills to online payment (to save stamp costs and paper), and in the process of moving my cable bill, i wanted to pay my balance, and i kept getting an email saying that my debit card couldn't pay the balance. No idea why. I'll just have to send in a payment. I just hope this doesn't keep happening. Finding time to call these people with noisy kids running around...it's enough to give me a migraine!

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Yes, there were many low income mamas here, but they took their discussion elsehwhere where they could speak more freely.

I've recently become very low income, trying to find something better. I just got on medicaid, foodstamps, and WIC, and that all helps ALOT! I deliver pizzas right now and also sell handmade toys.

Dh is still looking for a job.
We still have fun, though, I am good at finding free or frugal things to do with the family. Of course, we'd love to be able to do/buy more, but we are safe, fed, and healthy, so I really can't complain too much.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunanthem View Post
Yes, there were many low income mamas here, but they took their discussion elsehwhere where they could speak more freely.

I've recently become very low income, trying to find something better. I just got on medicaid, foodstamps, and WIC, and that all helps ALOT! I deliver pizzas right now and also sell handmade toys.

Dh is still looking for a job.
We still have fun, though, I am good at finding free or frugal things to do with the family. Of course, we'd love to be able to do/buy more, but we are safe, fed, and healthy, so I really can't complain too much.
Welcome! So what kind of toys do you make? That sounds awesome.

My mantra is, at times, "The kids are fed and have cozy places to sleep, and that's all that matters."

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Good! My parents watch the kids every other Saturday for us. That is a help. Childcare costs can very easily make working not worth it.

So i'm trying to figure out what BOA means... I'm trying to move all my bills to online payment (to save stamp costs and paper), and in the process of moving my cable bill, i wanted to pay my balance, and i kept getting an email saying that my debit card couldn't pay the balance. No idea why. I'll just have to send in a payment. I just hope this doesn't keep happening. Finding time to call these people with noisy kids running around...it's enough to give me a migraine!
BOA is Bank of America

·
Registered
61 Posts
i would love to join you. we are newly low-income or little to no income...haha! not funny! im having a real hard time right now as im about to voluntarily repo our only car, and we have a baby on the way in oct... yikes!

times sure are tough right now. its hard because my husband works for his good friend, and they own the business and are doing well but we are barely paying bills. im friends with the owner's wife ad she is always talking about how they are gonna take a trip to hawaii after baby comes, how they just got this, just got that... it is hard to not be a little irritated...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Times are very tough right now.

I'm a single mom and my parents live with me {but my dad is soon to be moving out for a variety of reasons}. While we do okay with the house payment, it's my student loan payments {for a degree that I couldn't even finish} that are killing me. But those are set to go into consolidation soon and have a $0 payment due to low income.

I work online for ChaCha, and run an online {and hopefully someday brick & mortar} used book store.

We get FS, Medicaid for myself and DD, and I've got a WIC appt tomorrow to get Dd back on WIC.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
We are pretty low income right now. Dh is an electrician, but since the building slump has finally hit where we live things a have gotten a bit more difficult. Luckily I am a couponing, stock piling queen who can take the times when we have more and balance it for when we don't. I am finally going to apply for FS, my meeting is tomorrow. We get WIC, but soon I may just be using it for the veggies, rice and other things we will be getting come Oct. No longer will WA have OG milk available, so I may start using my FS for that, plus WIC will be offering much less milk.

Dh and I have been way more broke before, so it's really not that bad. Currently we are trying to do a mortgage modification and work on a couple other things. Best thing is we are way better than ever with our bills and such. Plus this won't last forever. We've talked about it and if this does continue Iwill go back to work as a hairstylist and he'll stay home with the kids. We'll alternate the days and go from there. We both just have the faith that it can and will be fine.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hey mamas,

I have moved from barely making it, to being able to pay my rent, utilities and phone. We have very little left over. My business which was doing very well, is going down the tank. I guess mamas can't afford doulas right now. very scary. It was what was making things better.

I have a child who is about to be declared with a disability, and all the problems that child has had, has and will make it hard for me to work. I'm scared. Another one of my children is not very far behind that child in terms of being declared disabled. I can't really leave my kids with anyone now. I was leaving them with a friend when I worked, but don't now because she had a baby.

Like I said, I can pay my basic bills, and sometimes, rarely sometimes, I have some extra money to rent movies for my kids (thank goodness for $1 movies at BlockBuster).

I'd be interested in knowing where the low income mamas are chatting now. I'd like to go there too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyotsna View Post
Hey mamas,

I have moved from barely making it, to being able to pay my rent, utilities and phone. We have very little left over. My business which was doing very well, is going down the tank. I guess mamas can't afford doulas right now. very scary. It was what was making things better.

I have a child who is about to be declared with a disability, and all the problems that child has had, has and will make it hard for me to work. I'm scared. Another one of my children is not very far behind that child in terms of being declared disabled. I can't really leave my kids with anyone now. I was leaving them with a friend when I worked, but don't now because she had a baby.

Like I said, I can pay my basic bills, and sometimes, rarely sometimes, I have some extra money to rent movies for my kids (thank goodness for $1 movies at BlockBuster).

I'd be interested in knowing where the low income mamas are chatting now. I'd like to go there too.

Can you get SSI for your children with disabilities? That is often a big help financially.

and as for the other - I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Quote:

Welcome! So what kind of toys do you make? That sounds awesome.

My mantra is, at times, "The kids are fed and have cozy places to sleep, and that's all that matters."

I make handdyed playsilks, wooden toys, and wooden play necklaces on etsy.

I don't think I can say here where the others went, so if anyone is interested, you can pm me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ugh....

our WIC appt turned out to be a farce - they have to transfer our case from another agency in town even though we haven't recieved benefits in over 6 months.

So I have to call back on the 7th and make an appointment then. I was really hoping for some stuff this afternoon too - we're okay on food but low on a few WIC foods {Milk, Cheese, and eggs}

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
I need this thread! We have always been low income (qualifying for WIC and Medicaid) but this year is worse than ever. DH's work has only been part time since December. I finally went and got FS late April. We are racking up CC debt paying for home and car repairs because we're only making enough to pay basic bills. We are selling our house hoping to use the money we make as a cushion for the next several years plus pay off CC and buy a newer car since ours is on it's last leg. I'm really trying to buckle down and save as much money as we can to get our CC paid. I hate not being able to take the kids to the pool and other fun things (we live in the country so going anywhere takes gas $).

Sorry about your WIC appt fedupmama.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm also sorry to hear about the WIC appointment.
Even though this year I will earn less than last year I feel like I'm in a better place. Last yr i used my taxes to pay off my Heating bill and pre paid my electric for a few monthes. then I used up the rest trying to pay daycare work and keep up on my bills.
Because I kept up on the bills this yr. I didn't fall to far behind on my heating. And because my dad watches ds for me I don't have to spend my refund , but am now able to pay my student loans. My dad and I are hoping to save enough for a down payment for a house.
Pollyanna

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.