Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is 8 months old and in the past few days I have noticed that my left breast is barely producing. I tried pumping after 6 hours of sleep w/o her nursing and I only got 1 oz! My right breast produces much more. We are just introducing solids, so she is not being supplemented much with food, unless you count an apple slice as much. I just started to take fenugreek three times a day and I am massaging. I had read in a breast feeding book to pump to help with the production. The reason why this is concerning me is that my daughter is biting on only the left. I think she is frustrated that there is not enough milk. She will nurse a little bit and them bite! I am not ready to stop bfing. I know it is the best for her, but the biting and low production is really bothering me.<br>
Delia

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I have uneven production as well... my 3 month old has favored the lefty from week one. I didn't start pumping till recently, and like you, I get about an ounce from "neglected righty" and 2-3 oz from "cherished lefty." He also bites the righty, but when he gets teeth, I may wind up not nursing on it anymore.<br><br>
Uneven boobs, here I come!<br><br>
My LLL group says this is not uncommon, and as long as he's growing well, I don't worry about it. I try to nurse him more on the right at night, when he just wants to suck to sleep.<br><br>
One boob is supposed to be able to produce plenty enough milk for a baby... how else would twins get by?<br>
:LOL

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I had similar concerns when DS was about 6 months old. I talked to a lactation consultant and she told me something that I am not sure a lot of mamas know.<br><br>
Mint and Sage are anti-galactologues (I think I spelled that wrong?) Meaning they decrease your milk supply and can make you even dry up in an extreme scenario.<br>
Since I was caffeine free, Mint tea was a natural alternative. Trying to stay hydrated I was drinking TONS of mint tea... WHOOPS. No more.<br><br>
Now I drink the Mama's Milk Tea, no supply issues anymore -- I just think it tastes GREAT!<br><br>
Hope this helps a little!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts