Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize ahead of time if this is a common problem and in the wrong forum.

I had to be induced at 39 weeks due to suddenly developing preeclampsia and have been having problems since. I had to breastfeed using a nipple guard because my nipples are slightly flat and his chin is back farther than his upper lip, so his lower lip is pushed into his face. We thought we were making it work, the nurses in the hospital said he had a good latch and everything but he started nursing for over an hour at a time and would cry for food 15 minutes later. We thought it was normal until he wouldn't have one peed diaper at all in a day and he lost a pound in four days. I still tried only breastfeeding until he developed jaundice and the doctor said supplement with formula to flush his system. Because of this I started using a hand pump to keep the same supply and pumped for an hour since that's as long as he used to eat, that's when I saw that I only got about an ounce then stopped getting any milk no matter how much I pumped. Giving him what breast milk I can and supplementing with the formula made him gain 3 ounces in one day and stop fussing at all while before he would scream for hours. I've talked to a few lactation consultants and some say it's impossible for me to not be making enough milk while others say what I'm doing is ok and my milk may just not be coming in completely yet because of the preeclampsia. Should I stick with supplementing or try exclusive breastfeeding again? Sorry for the long post :/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts