Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I'm trying to make some sense of my DH's Semen Analysis.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>First off, let me start by saying that we already have two boys. The first was conceived "accidently" when we were trying to prevent pregnancy, and the 2nd was conceived the first month we tried. So far we've only actively been trying for #3 for three months unsuccessfully, but my doctor referred me to the fertility clinic because of my long, irregular, and possibly annovulatory cycles.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The fertility doctor wanted a sample from hubby to rule out any problems there. No one expected his count to be an issue because of how easily our first two were conceived and there is nothing he does that we know of that should lower his count (hot tubs, briefs, etc).</p>
<p>I still may have ovulation issues, but we are in the evaluation process for that.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyways, his counts came back and the three area's they are concerned about is volume, count, and progressively motile. His volume was great. But count was only 5.3 M/ml when they consider anything under 20 M/ml to be low. And progressivly motile was only 3 M/spec when it should be at least 60 M/spec. So this is considered to be VERY low.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I know there is really no way to tell at this point, but I'm wondering how common it would be that he could have had a normal count two years ago (and four years ago) when our boys were conceived but have it be low now? Or if maybe we were just able to get pregnant easily in spite of his low count?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The only other thing in the analysis that sticks out to me is white blood cell count. In the report it's listed as greater than 1, when it should be less than or equal to 1. (not sure if that's in millions, thousands, % or really just 1)...  I've done some research, and everything I'm coming up with points to the fact that there's possibly an infection that could be causing low sperm count, but the DR's office was not at all concerned with the WBC being an issue.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>He is re-testing this week try and determine if there truly is a count issue, or if it was just a bad sample... but my question is, if it really is that low how often should we BD during my fertile window. I've heard that daily with a low sperm count can decrease the chances of conceiving? Also would appreciate any advice on how to improve his #'s</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks! :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
<p>Sorry you are facing this. It is possible something has changed - or it's also possible you had fantastic luck before! My husband has a similar count and I conceived my daughter and 2 lost pregnancies naturally. He's had all the testing done and there is nothing "wrong" with him. I found out from my mother in law that his dad had low count too. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>For now, you should only be BDing every other day. They may reccomend you try IUI or even IVF. We did 3 IUIs and I felt like we wasted our money. Finally ended up doing IVF. But I have issues that compound DH's.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Cindy</p>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Thanks for the response! Our Dr had him do a re-test and all the numbers actually came back great... above normal range so they said the 1st sample was either bad or most likely lab error. Which makes a lot more sense. I just got a + OPK so hopefully I'm ovulating now...  will see what my temps do in the next few days! I'm optimistic that this is our month. :)</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts