Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am a lucky mom to a 5 mth old dd. We had bf difficulty from the start, my low supply (under developed breasts) coupled with her poor suck/swallow and acid reflux. We tried it all Fenugreek, Reglan, agressive pumping, you name it. At 4 wks she had lost over 2.5 lbs (and was just maintaining). As she was visibly struggling and appeared to be in pain from hunger, I did what at the time felt like the hardest thing in the world- started supplimenting with formula. I greived not beign able to feed my baby for quite a long time- I still feel jealous when I see other mamas bfing. We have been using a Lactaid now for almost three months. I feel like she gets so little milk from me what she does get is precious. I recently read (in Your Baby First Year- week by week) that if babies are not introduced to solid food by six months they will not take it, and if they do have a hard time swallowing it. My intuition tells me that she's just not ready for solid food, that she has just got the hang of nursing. Help! I don't want to hurt her again. Any and all thoughts or suggestions welcomed.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Sorry to hear about all your troubles, mama. *big hug*
The solids by 6 months or else line is a load of BS. Many babies on this board aren't started until much later and are just fine. Follow your mommy instinct, it seems to be working wonderfully so far!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am so sorry that you have been going through this difficulty. I have been going through a similar situation with my twins. I nursed my previous babies for 3 years, so this was very very grievious for me. I used to cry buckets of tears. My babies are now 7 months and I have come to just accept things the way that they are. We are still using the SNS (I used the Lact-Aid also). Be sure to switch sides half way at feeding to stimulate both sides. It is the next best thing to nursing. Even if your little one gets just little, it really is a LOT! At Kellymom.com, there is an article that shows studies that just 1 tsp. of breastmilk has 3 million germ fighting cells! That really encouraged me to keep going! Also, the less the breastmilk, the more concentrated it is. I would type in "1 tsp. breastmilk" at google.com and you will see the article for kelly mom. You can go to the kelly mom site but I don't know what you would type in - maybe immunity. Another thing I would suggest, is using Madela's SNS (supplemental nursing system - two tube set). Start with the medium tube and then work your way to the smaller tube about a week later. Your baby will get less formula and will build up your milk supply. I have been doing this and noticing more breastfed stools. Eventually I hope to get the babies on just the breast only. I have read many cases where it does happen. It just takes some endurance and work. As for the solids, I did not start mine until 6 months. I think the article you were refering to may have meant 8 months? That is more consistent with what I have read. I have read it is not best to start solids until 6 months minimum due to allergy issues. Go with your gut feeling. Us moms have that built into us. The La Leche League Womanly Art of Breastfeeding book suggest the same that I mentioned. Also, natures way of the baby taking the solids when he or she is ready. Such as the eruption of teeth, chewing on things, ect... To me this is more of an obvious sign rather than someone's opinion. I wish you well. You are doing the best thing for your little one!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahA
I recently read (in Your Baby First Year- week by week) that if babies are not introduced to solid food by six months they will not take it, and if they do have a hard time swallowing it.
Total BS. Completely absurd. Throw the book out.

-Angela

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
Total BS. Completely absurd. Throw the book out.

-Angela
ITA. We are all adults, and we are not still breastfeeding, are we? So humans will never take food if not offered by 6 months? Don't believe everything you read...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so I've read a little more. Thanks for the Kellymom.com suggestion- they actually discussed the 6 mth thing in the Myths section. As for the book- Garbage (I dont know why I kept it around this long).

·
Registered
796 Posts
I'm adoptive breastfeeding (so NO supply was my term) and my babe started grabbing at my food at 8 months. She really wanted it, so I gave it to her. I really wish I would've waited a while longer because she didn't nurse as often after she started solids and we started having volume issues again.
Babies will eat no matter when you introduce solids, and the other lie I hear alot is to not introduce fruit first because they wont eat vegetables... my now 15 month old veggie is proof positive that neither are true.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.