Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a couple of days I go to see my OB and will ask for a referral to a chiro but in the meantime I'm dying from the pain. It's gotten out of hand and I need some relief. It's my right lower back that is excruciating.

Are there any good exersizes for lower back pain that a pregnant women can do?

TIA!!!

· Registered
1,968 Posts
First of all, if you can do any kind of walking or biking or swimming, any kind of exercise will help circulation get to your lower back and keep it loose and healthy.

Second, you can try out prenatal yoga or prenatal Pilates classes or DVDs to get modifications of exercises that will help you with strength and flexibility in your abs and back. I have the DVD Pilates During Pregnancy and it's challenging, but I like it.

ETA: I just re-read your post and that could be any number of things. Mine was my sacro iliac joint, exacerbated by a leg-length difference (my left leg is significantly shorter than my right) and a funky stride. I finally found a chiropractor who gave me a heel lift to even out the legs and exercises to help normalize my gait. It can take some work to find out what is causing the pain, and who can really help you with it. Traditional chiro adjustments didn't help me.

· Registered
373 Posts
i really messed up my lower back earlier in my pregnancy. short version of a long story, it involved a restaurant/night club next door to my bedroom and their music 'til 4 a.m. i had to sleep on a pull out couch for a few months until we got them shut down.

anyhow, i was in so much pain i couldn't stand up w/out walking my hands up my thighs. prenatal yoga REALLY helped improve it, plus we talk a lot about how to utilize yoga techniques to get through labor and other problems. i'm really not a fru-fru yoga person, but a good class is a great resource for advice.
we also just got back from an extended vacation and tons of walking and swimming helped it finally heal completely. my sacro iliac hyperextends on one side so yoga helps me strengthen the surrounding muscles to keep me balanced. a good doctor or instructor should be able to help determine this and recommend exercises. form is really important and you need someone to watch you do it the first couple of times so you are doing it correctly. if not, you could be doing more harm than good.

· Registered
270 Posts
This is more long-term--- Shoes with good arch supports. I showed up at a midwife appt complaining of lower back pain and got a bit of a lecture cos I was wearing flip-flops. I *knew* flip-flops are bad - NO support whatsoever - but it's summer and they are so easy!!! So I had to chuck them out and wear my slip on clogs and other shoes that promote better posture.

I also do a number of yoga type stretches for my back pain- which is usually sciatica, different from yours, but these should help you too, I think. Angry Cat- on all fours (hands and knees) you move your lower back up towards the ceiling, so you are creating a kind of hump. Move from Cat to neutral and back again several times. Also pelvic tilts, like Melissa said. And pelvic circles on your hands and knees, as well as standing up, knees slightly bent, hands on hips.

I second (third? fourth?) the idea of finding some prenatal yoga classes too. Even though I am a mind-body-spirit practitioner of a different kind, I never much liked yoga until I tried pre-natal yoga. It's great! Let the teacher know what kind of issues you are having and she (likely a she) will almost surely have lots of ideas for you.

Wishing you vibes for less pain!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.