Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At five mon, Jan 14th, I woke up to take DH to work (car is on the fritz) and was having pretty regular mild contrax and a little bloody show.... So at 9 I started keeping track and they were pretty consistent at 5-10 minutes apart, and started getting stronger. I left work a little early, and came home and started cleaning my house and getting ready. I was worried that I wasn’t going into active labor and that it would stop, but it didn’t.<br>
I was doing good, and at about 9pm I laid down and listened to my hypnobabies. I was doing pretty good, they were strong but definitely doable. The midwife came about 9:40 and I went downstairs. Suddenly not listening to the tapes it was a lot harder to keep on top of things. She checked and said I was at 8 (I was so scared she'd say 3 or something like that!!). I got in the pool and talked to her about my anxiety about transition, and suddenly I was in it! I didn't have any trouble staying sane, but I was groaning like a moose! Jason turned the pushing stage hypnobabies cd on, but all I heard was her saying "peace" and "open". Just that helped a ton. After only a few contractions I felt myself push, and after a couple pushes my water broke. I reached down and put counterpressure on my perineum and my midwife told me to touch wherever I felt the burn and give myself a little support. When her head came out she told me not to push, because her fist was up by her face, and she tried to move it so I wouldn’t tear on her elbow. I felt another “pop” and then she was out. The midwife said I probably tore some, but we would check in a little bit. I felt myself and could tell it wasn’t another 4th degree, and I couldn’t tell where it tore. She laid on my chest and we sat there for a bit. I only pushed for about 7 minutes! I moved to the couch and we snuggled and after a while she checked my perineum. I was so scared of how bad it would be. She said I had a small one by my urethra, and a completely INTACT perineum!!! I got all teary and she got goosebumps!<br>
It was so crazy how well this one went compared with Dennis’ hospital birth. His was a 24 hour terrible induction with every intervention and a 4th degree tear after 2.5 hours of excruciating purple pushing. I was told I couldn’t have another vaginal birth because I would tear again. With Lucy I didn’t even have much pain until an hour before she was born, and after 7 minutes of pushing I was holding her. She was only 4 oz smaller than Dennis, weighing in at 9 lb 10 oz.<br>
I highly recommend looking into homebirth for anyone with low risk factors. I also highly recommend hypnobabies and Birth Pool In a Box from Waterbirth International. The both worked really well for me. Seriously, I never even thought about how pain relief would be nice until transition. My last recommendation would be to touch yourself in labor! It made a huge difference in how I pushed, and I knew exactly how tight everything was and could back off or push harder as needed. I think it really helped in not tearing. Well, enough rambling! I’ll post pics of her when I can!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Both of your children's birth stories sound nearly identical to mine -- my first was a two-day induction which ended in a 4th degree tear. With my second I hardly push and ended up with a minor scratch on my old scar. It was such an empowering experience.<br><br>
Congratulations on your amazing birth!<br><br>
Amy

·
Registered
110 Posts
Congratulations on your wonderful birth! And thanks for sharing. It's very encouraging to read that you barely tore after having torn badly with your first birth. With my son's birth, I had a bad tear all the way around the labia and ever since, I've been worried that I'll have to deal with a similar tear and healing process with any subsequent births. This gives me new hope.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts