Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband is a fish biologist and spends most days hiking. For hours. I know, poor baby. We are looking for good lunches that are packable, ready to go, nutritious, and satisfying. He tends to leave before I wake up in the morning, so I'm not always available to help him throw things together. He often leaves with several pb&j sandwiches and a bunch of bananas, but gets super hungry on his way home and stops for fast food. He wants to stop the fast food thing and start eating good for him food.<br><br>
Any experience out there?<br><br>
Good recipes?

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
We hike a lot and like roll ups becuase the are so portable and easy to eat. I make chicken and tuna salad alot ebcuase I can make that up the night before.<br><br>
A waldorf chicken salad is good too because the apples and raisin add some sweetness and crunch. To tuna we add celery and dried mustard to mix it up,<br><br>
I also plan the meals before big hikes so that there are good leftovers. Sliced steak makes a great sandwihich with sharp cheddar and baby spinach. Sliced pork with apple butter and fontina. Sliced meatballs are great for roll ups with provolone and are my husbands favorite but they get messy and need to be made the morning we are heading out!<br><br>
the key is get everyting organized the night before. I pack what doesn't need to be refirdgerate the night before. Make sure the lettuce is washed/dried, cheese is sliced etc. Then in the AM it doesn't take any longer to make than a PBJ!<br><br>
I make big batches of gorp too. plenty of protien and carbs and easily packable. So many great combos! I love raw almonds with dried cranberries, figs, granola clusters and sesame seeds or sesame sticks. What about keeping a container in the car for the ride home. Some crunchy sweetness night keep the fast food away.<br><br>
Same with granolla- make big batches with nuts and dried fruits to keep in the car.<br><br>
let me know if you want gorp or granolla "recipes"!<br><br>
I love hiking!!

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
does he want to sit and eat lunch or eat it on his drive home.<br><br>
it seems like he needs two lunches or one lunch and one snack on the drive back home.<br><br>
instead of thinking one big maybe one big one small meal?<br><br>
how about packing pjbs for the drive home<br><br>
but otherwise<br><br>
how about tortillas with hummus and bunch of veggies or apple avacado sandwiches.<br><br>
it would help to know what you are looking for.<br><br>
something to make real quick in the morning or have it ready night before?<br><br>
does he want one sit down meal and one on the fly meal?<br><br>
there are a tonne of ideas. he could have two coolers. one with last night dinner left overs and one sandwich kinda thing.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Summer sausage or beef jerky.<br>
Chunk of French bread.<br>
Cookies for afternoon snack.<br><br>
An apple or two<br>
can of tuna pk of may. Ritz crackers<br>
can opener<br>
individual wrapped brownie 4 afternoon snack<br><br>
pop top mandrin single serve can<br>
dry chunk of cheese sandwich<br>
if the weather's not hot<br>
family size apple juice for afternoon<br>
it taste alright room temp<br><br>
dried salmon<br>
untoasted bagel<br>
chips<br>
king size candy afternoon snack<br>
again, if it's not hot out

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Sounds like he needs more protein!!! (And healthy fats)<br><br>
If it were my dh this is what I'd have for him:<br><br>
I'd hard boil a bunch of eggs so he could grab some everyday.<br>
Beef jerky<br>
nuts<br><br>
almond butter bars (super easy, very nutritious)<br><br>
1 heaping cup of almond butter<br>
4 eggs<br>
1/2 cup honey or maple syrup<br>
1 tbsp vanilla extract or almond extract or a combo of both!<br>
1/2 tsp salt (a bit more if you buy/make unsalted almond butter)<br>
1 tsp baking soda<br>
1 cup of chopped nuts<br>
1/2 cup dried fruit<br>
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)<br><br>
Beat almond butter with mixer until creamy, add eggs, honey, salt and baking soda. Fold in nuts fruit and chips. Spread into a greased 9x13 pan and bake at 325 for 35 min or when toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.<br><br>
Cut and wrap.<br><br>
* for brownies, add 1/2 cup of cocoa powder while beating in the eggs etc! Super delicious, grain free treats full of protein and energy!<br><br>
What about those foil pkgs of tuna that have different seasonings already added?<br><br>
Sardines, smoked oysters etc?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts