Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our DD is 2 1/2 and was born with a bilateral and profound hearing loss. She now has bilateral cochlear implants and is doing very, very well.
That being said, DD's therapist visits, in our home, twice a week for an hour each visit. Of the last 5 or 6 visits the therapist has been late every. single. time. While I realize that no one has a perfect day everyday, I think it's unreasonable for the therapist to be late every time she's here. What if I were late? What if she showed up and we weren't home? Would she wait around for up to 30 minutes? (BTW, that's about our average wait time.)
Additionally, the therapist was supposed to be here at 1030 this morning, per our converstation at last weeks visit but wrote 1130 on the sheet she gives us after each visit. After realizing at about 11 that she wasn't late but I hadn't paid attention to the time she wrote down, I realized I was the dork! 1130 rolled around, then 1145, and then 1150. At 1145 I decided to feed DD lunch and not worry about whether the therapist arrived soon after or not. Well, the therapist calls at 1150 to say that she's sorry she's late but that bad weather and and lots of accidents on the road had caused her to get a late start this morning. She mentioned that she was 20 minutes away and on her way here. I thought to myself, "20 minutes late and 20 minutes out means she'll be almost an hour late! NO WAY!" She and I decided to cancel today. I also have to add that we decided last week to meet today and tomorrow at 1030 because we'll be leaving Thursday (our usual 2nd visit of the week) to visit out-of-town family. She had obviously forgotten this because she asked me if I wanted her to come tomorrow and Thursday. ummmm....NO! I didn't mention that we had previously agreed to meet at 1030 today and tomorrow, not sure why I didn't mention it. I think I was in shock.
Right about now, I don't want to see her tomorrow either. I just want to leave for my parents house on Thursday morning and not have to deal with the therapist and her tardiness!
I told the therapist we'd call her later today after discussing our day tomorrow. I don't think I can even talk to her yet, I'm so frustrated! It's almost 330 and I just don't have it in me to talk to her. I've got a pot roast and spaghetti sauce on the stove. I don't have time for anything else. My life is full enough as it is.

OH! I forgot!
The family she visits just before us, they have the same two days as us and they live about 20 minutes away. So, it makes sense that we follow them.
At any rate, the therapist and the mom just before us seem to have become friends. The therapists excuse for being last week was due to the mom crying. Well, sure. Stay and take care of her but why is the therapist late when the sun is shining and it's 50 degrees outside?!?
Anyway, they're friends now. The therapist once plugged the other moms toy party after I commented on some counters the therapist had used during DD's session. They were cute vehicles and had a great feel to them. So, the therapist says that the only place she's ever seen these counters is through the toy company the other mom was having a party for?? What does she take me for, some kind of a moron?! I know better than that. I looked online and found the EXACT. SAME. COUNTERS. available for immediate delivery and not via the toy company in question.
Is she kidding?? This is so out of line, it's not even funny.

phew!

It may not appear this way but I do feel better.
Thanks for the vent ladies

Cate
Mama to
:C-5/06

·
Registered
376 Posts
Is this therapist through a county service or private? I don't think I'd pay for this if she is private and if she is county, I'd be calling her supervisor, if she is private as well. There is no excuse for this. Your daughter is missing valuable therapy time.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the kicker, you see DD isn't missing anything. When the therapist is late she just stays that much longer. Unfortunately, that means that DD loses some of her nap time, lunch is a "hurry up and eat" kinda thing, etc.

To answer your question, the therapy is provided through our state early intervention program. We will be paying for this therapist out-of-pocket once DD turns three in May. (minimum $150/hr twice a week. Tardiness will not fly.)
That being said, this therapist has played a HUGE role in DDs language growth. If it hadn't been for her we might not be where we are. She's good at what she does, I just can't seem to get past my current feelings.
I'm supposed to call the therapist to tell her whether or not we want to meet tomorrow and I just can't bring myself to call her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.