Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, weird I know, but...... today I got the feeling that we (in MA) were going to feel an earthquake soon.
I don't usually make these announcements but this 'feeling' today really unnerved me.

Also want to 'document' it...just in case. heh.

I've only been wrong once before so this should be interesting.

Ciao for now.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I've always thought that the Northeast is on the second or third largest fault in the country. It's really not *that* unusual for there to be quakes in this area, but they're usually pretty minor & dont' cause much damage. I've experienced two that I can remember; one that centered in Quebec while I was in VT & one back when I was little & living in Western MA.

I sure hope that if your feeling is correct, that this one will be small, too.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually saw a small (tiny) tornado about a block behind my building last month. At least I think it was last month. We had a microburst too. Don't think it was in the news though. The tornado touched down but pretty much immediately dissapated.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Actually this area is "due" for a "big" one, like a 5 or 6, i think i remember reading in the next 200 yrs or so.
I remember a college course I took, my professor took us on field trips around the area and presented us with evidence that a volcano once existed in the boston area. It's obvisously been extinct for a long time but I thought it was pretty cool!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Ok creepy, I'm not in MA, I'm in northern RI. Last night I had a dream that I was in a major earthquake. How weird is that??

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
wow, and you guys just made me remember the dream I had last night, which was me gathering supplies to evacuate. (didn't know what the reason was). I woke up thinking I should really set some aside. Hm.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hmm... we're about to visit Weasern Mass. from CA. We just had a 4.4 here and I thought we were gonna leave the quakes behind. Our little quake was just that, little. No damage anywhere, and ds slept through it. I gather it all depends on what kind of soil / rock is under you and how long the quake lasts as to whether there's damage.

Here's hoping you're wrong - no offense!

Betzi

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I've been reading near death experiences and several people were told that the east coast would be surprised by earthquakes (sometime between now & 2012) and that a large part of the east coast would be underwater (but I was thinking that would be more like Florida, maybe not!)

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, I can usually sense it within a 4 week timespan. Sometimes, I pick up 'vibrations' and when I report it (USGS), they say that they are picking up activity but it's not quite an earthquake yet. Very odd.

·
Registered
543 Posts
That's pretty wild! About 10 years ago (!!!) when I was in college in MA, I was taking my mid-afternoon nap, and had a dream that there was a big earthquake - we all were running crazy around the campus, and the horses got loose from the stables (no horses at my college??) and the buildings were on fire. Later that evening, we had a very very minor earthquake, not even strong enough to really notice.
No dreams lately, but that's pretty creepy...

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Ryan had a dream with fire and earthquakes last night and one a few days ago. He said they had to bulldoze our guestroom!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.