Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some merino wool from an online retailer with the intention of knitting a pair of shorties or a soaker. When I purchased it, the info said it was handwash, but now that it's here, the label says it's machine washable. I know superwash wool is a definite no-no for soakers, but is that true for all machine washable wool?<br><br>
Anyone know?

·
Registered
172 Posts
i'd love to hear other ppl's knowledge on this as well, because i've heard before that it's the same thing, that it's an added coating on the yarn that makes it machine washable, same as superwash.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I haven't used machine washable yarn for a soaker, but I do stay away from it. Like jbie, I just assume that if it is washable, it has the added chemicals that make it unusable for a soaker. That's too bad that the retailer didn't have the info correct, but maybe it would still work.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well, it will still work, but will function like a PUL/Fleece cover rather than a wool cover ie you will have to wash it much more often and lanolizing does nothing for it.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
If it were already knit up, I'd try lanolizing the heck out of it. But since you didn't get what you were expecting, I'd try to return it and get them to reimburse your shipping, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts