Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any macro mommas out there. i am vegetarian/vegan/macro and i would love to find some mammas with like minded approaches to diet. my babe is 13 months old and i am struggling to get her to eat solids. she is still breastfeeding and i would love to chat about how to encourage her to eat.

xoxoxo

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I am not strict macrobiotic but it has a very strong influence on my recipes because I learned natural foods cooking at the Macrobiotic Cooking School in Oakland.

I'd be happy to chat about your dd - what solids is she eating now?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cathe,
Thank you for writing. I feel like I am living on an island - trying to feed my little girl solids.

She eats; carrots, avacados, squash, brown rice, amasake, oatmeal, nori, lentils, tofu, millet burgers and white fish. She loves apples, blueberries, strawberries and bananas as well.

That must sound pretty good - but she eats so so little and if she had her choice she would only eat bananas and avacado.

How did you ensure that you fed your little one a balanced diet?

How did you ensure that your baby got enough iron and calcium and fat?

And finally, when not on breast milk what liquids would you feed your child? (dairy scares me but i've read all kinds of controversy when it comes to soy and i'm not sure about the oils in rice milk)

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with me. I really appreciate it.

xoxo
N

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Her diet sounds pretty good and I'm glad you are feeding her fish because it really has a lot of good nutients for a growing child. I would suggest that you include some beans and legumes (for protein, iron, and calcium) in her diet - lentils (very high iron) and adzuki's are good to start with because they are easiest to digest. My kids love rice and beans together or in soups, or you can even make bean mash to use as a spread.

Another beneficial food is nuts and seeds - they are extremely high in nutrients like calcium and iron and flax and walnuts contain the very important omega-3 fatty acids. I grind them up in a coffee grinder (blender also works) to a fine powder. Then add them to oatmeal, rice, fruit salad, in baked goods, etc.

Since she loves fruit you could make smoothies. I add tofu or nuts and seeds for protein and calcium and beleive it or not, I even add a couple of leafs of kale to my smoothies and you won't even taste it!

Smoothies are also good because vegetarian iron assimlated much better if eaten with vitamin C.

Here's one we like. It's delicious and also great while nursing because leafy greens are great for your milk.

Creamy Greens

1 1/2 cups unsweetened pineapple-coconut juice
1 banana frozen
2 leafs kale

Blend until smooth.

serves 2 to 3

you might also check out this link: tips
for some other ideas to incorporate veggies into her food.

As for liquids, my girls only drink water and occasional herbal tea or smoothies. I don't think they need to drink any kind of milks to get their nutrients and often these beverages leave children too full to eat their meals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts