Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Banned
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few people were talking about this in a thread about detergents. Well, I decided to try them despite the newly purchased 100 load box of biokleen in my laundry area.

THEY ARE AWESOME
:

I denno how exactly they do it, but my diapers came out clean, soft, and very fluffy. I tried them on regular laundry as well and they were equally as good. Just thought you ladies might like to know.

· Registered
563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aris99 View Post
Another soapnut fanatic here!!!!

They ARE awesome!!! AND no extra rinsing required
!!!
Please expand on this
I'm interested in buying some, but I would like to hear about people's soap nut diaper laundry routine, particularly as compared to your pre-soap nut routine.

How many do you use? Do you make a "tea" out of them before? Do you still do cold soak, hot wash, then how many rinses? etc. Thanks!

· Registered
989 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieMama View Post
Please expand on this
I'm interested in buying some, but I would like to hear about people's soap nut diaper laundry routine, particularly as compared to your pre-soap nut routine.

How many do you use? Do you make a "tea" out of them before? Do you still do cold soak, hot wash, then how many rinses? etc. Thanks!
Me too!

· Banned
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by studentmama View Post
Hmm, sounds very interesting, I think I am going to give them a try. Anyone know how they work?
Supposedly they are a natural cleanser (nut) that grows on a tree.

· Banned
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rutabega View Post
I've been so wanting to try these out but haven't been brave enough yet!
They sell a trial package of like 5. I bought mine from Amazon for $5 with shipping. That's what I did when I wanted to try them since they're a little expensive.

· Registered
535 Posts
Uh-oh. We're having the post-pee ammonia smell problem here, too, along with way too much redness and chapping and we're using Charlie's. I was planning to get some soapnuts to try, but maybe I'll wait to hear if any others are having the same issues.
I've got to find something that works...

· Banned
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonStarFalling View Post
I just started using these on my diapers. We developed a strong ammonia smell (post pee) though. Has anyone else had that problem?
Is it possible that's the smell of the actual pee? I mean, it's no bucket of roses. And the soap nuts don't have any fragrances to block that out.

*shrug* who knows, though. Seems like what works for one person doesn't work at all for another.

· Registered
999 Posts
I use bac-out first in a cold overnight soak. This really helps w/poopy or overnight dipes. Then I follow w/a VERY hot wash w/salt and soapnuts.

I make the soapnut liquid because boiling the soapnuts helps to extract more of the saponins (saponin is the soapy component in soapnuts). I use 12 cups of water to about 2/3 - 1cup of soapnuts. I strain the liquid and pop the soapnuts back in the fridge and use them in the next batch. You can tell when they're used up. They look "grey" and no longer feel slippery. The liquid is also great for delicates you want to wash in cold....the soapnuts don't release saponins well in cold water.

They work well for clothes too. Personally, I've never found any deterg that will get out spaghetti sauce stains or chocolate so I use shout stain remover for this but for everything else soapnuts clean as well as any other deterg I've ever used AND it rinses out in a single rinse cycle! Clothes are super soft! We add lemongrass EO to the liquid...keeps the mosquitoes away
!

· Banned
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by aris99 View Post
I use bac-out first in a cold overnight soak. This really helps w/poopy or overnight dipes. Then I follow w/a VERY hot wash w/salt and soapnuts.

I make the soapnut liquid because boiling the soapnuts helps to extract more of the saponins (saponin is the soapy component in soapnuts). I use 12 cups of water to about 2/3 - 1cup of soapnuts. I strain the liquid and pop the soapnuts back in the fridge and use them in the next batch. You can tell when they're used up. They look "grey" and no longer feel slippery. The liquid is also great for delicates you want to wash in cold....the soapnuts don't release saponins well in cold water.

They work well for clothes too. Personally, I've never found any deterg that will get out spaghetti sauce stains or chocolate so I use shout stain remover for this but for everything else soapnuts clean as well as any other deterg I've ever used AND it rinses out in a single rinse cycle! Clothes are super soft! We add lemongrass EO to the liquid...keeps the mosquitoes away
!
Thanks for the tips!!!

· Registered
2,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
Is it possible that's the smell of the actual pee? I mean, it's no bucket of roses. And the soap nuts don't have any fragrances to block that out.

*shrug* who knows, though. Seems like what works for one person doesn't work at all for another.
Pee smells like pee. Pee does NOT smell like ammonia.

· Registered
3,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by *Karen* View Post
Pee smells like pee. Pee does NOT smell like ammonia.

So then why does some smell like ammonia?

DS has had the ammonia smell in his dipes and I'm interested in WHY. I have since satred doing the bac-out and haven't had any more smell.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.