Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been doing a lot of burritos/tacos, lentil roasts, chickpea curries recently, and are looking to branch out meal-wise with legume/bean based dinners. Any suggestions?

We try not to use tofu or mock meat if we can, which is sort of limiting us at the moment in terms of variety.

Here's what we've been having a lot of recently:

Beans & Rice
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Stew
Black Bean Burritos
Lentil Tacos
Beans and Greens Soup (Navy/Cannellini)
3-Bean Chili
Beans with Pasta
Eggplant and White Beans over Polenta
Hummus/Baba Ghanoush Platter
Falafel and salad
Black Bean Burgers & Sweet Potato Fries
Nachos
Spicy Chickpea Curry
Coconut Milk Curry
Lentil Roast
Lentil Soup
Lentil Shepherd's Pie

More suggestions? Thank you so much!!

· Premium Member
950 Posts
We do not eat soy except on very rare occasions.

My staples are quinoa and red lentils. You could also mix it up with millet or amaranth which are wonderfully tasty and healthy.

I cook extremely simply. Stir-fry veggies with quinoa is a favorite. Cold quinoa in a salad with avocado, mixed greens, tomato and nuts/seeds.

· Registered
2,840 Posts
Some of ours are

-black bean and masa dumpling soup
-taco salad w tortilla bowl, refried beans veggies
-perogi casserole(we boil frozen vegan perogies,put into a casserole dish add canned tomatoes, chopped peppers, onions, garlic, black beans, corn, sliced olives and bake it all together)
-veggie pot pie
-red lentil coconut slowcooker soup
-last night was pasta w an avocado "cream" sauce w chickpeas and veg

· Premium Member
2,750 Posts
I always love a good "breakfast for dinner"

lets see this week we had
veggie pasta bake (homemade sauce with tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, artichoke hearts etc) cheese for those that eat it, no cheese for those who don't everyone liked it

we had indian food last night, tomato cauliflower, chickpea, potato with gramma masla and ginger and sagg panner (oh wait we did use tofu for ht panner) rice pilaf with nuts, peas, raisins, saffron and coconut milk

mashed potatoes and honey baked lentils with a salad

tonight I am thinking homemade pizza or lomein, maybe pad thai, but I'd have to go get ingrediants for that

· Registered
3,568 Posts
Mock tuna casserole is yummy. Use a can of chickpeas in place of tuna. You can make a cheesy sauce with nutritional yeast and almond or rice milk.

Scalloped potatoes makes a great main dish.

· Registered
9,004 Posts
We rarely eat mock meats/tofu.

Sweet and sour veggies over rice (does use soy sauce though)
Sloppy Lemtils (i.e. sloppy joes done w/ lentils)
Hearty Black Bean Chowder..I recently made this w/ chili seasoning instead of taco and it rocks. You can make it less of a chowder and more soupy too based on water.
Not bean based but we had this the other night. Sooo tasty (obviously minus the bacon..i also didn't use the eggs..I've not had the best luck with them lately in my cooking
).

· Registered
2,648 Posts
We almost never eat mock meats, and tofu is more a breakfast food around here than a dinner. Some of our non-tofu favorites this time of year are:

Black bean and sweet potato enchilada casserole
Red lentil tacos with cabbage shreds and avocado
Apple pancakes with homemade whitebean-seitan sausages
Chili
French onion soup in a bread bowl topped with Daiya cheese
Navy beans with garlic and sage, polenta and kale
Lentil-nut loaf with baked potatoes and broccoli
Homemade lentil oat burgers with oven fries and a veggie

· Registered
6,413 Posts
I'm a fan of making protein-rich sauces & putting them (liberally!) on top of stir-fries, pasta, steamed veggies, etc.:

Spicy peanut sauce (peanut butter, ginger, garlic, etc., I make it different every time) - also good with homemade spring rolls!
"Cheeze" sauce (nutritional yeast, onion & garlic powder, paprika, etc.)
White sauce (white beans with basil, garlic, etc.)
Hummus-type sauce made with any kind of beans

You can use water, broth, lemon juice, olive oil, etc. to get them the right consistency

I also like kidney beans sauteed with mushrooms, onions, and potatoes (we eat this way too often!!)
OH and roasted veggies with beans or nuts (pecans are sooo good with roasted butternut squash & mixed veggies) - serve as is or put over rice, quinoa, or on a pizza

Now that I saw tacos in your post I am really really craving them!! Time for lunch!!

· Premium Member
10,578 Posts
Black Bean Chilaquile
(better without cheese, IMO. I use brown rice instead of chips for the bottom layer to make it healthier.)

Is soy sauce ok? I probably have more...

eta- butternut squash pizza!
Butternut squash is roasted with fresh sage and shallots in olive oil. yum!

· Registered
422 Posts
The vegan lunchbox blog has a link to the magic loaf studio- you choose your ingredients and you get a recipe for your own loaf. I make a large pot of beans in the beginning of the week. With this pot I make a bean dip for veggies and chips, magic bean loaf, and a soup.

My daughter's favorite meal is: roasted bean nuts, sweet potatoes, and kale.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.