Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ds is in an infant program where I work. he is one of three enrolled. He's 14 months. The teacher for his class is the director's daughter and I am very dissastified with his care. Today put me over the top. As usual she was late. I have to start work a half hour earlier than her class starts but she is supposed to be there at 8:00 to do a 1/2 hr of childcare. She has only been on time maybe one or two times since August. I start work and keep ds with me until she shows up. Once a week I watch him during the staff meetting for her then she taked him back to class until I come to get him. But today she came up and I asked her if I should take him and she said yes. Then isntead of going to the staff meetign she left! And didn't tell me that she wasn't coming back. So for an hour I had to work with my toddler which isn't very productive. When he pooped I took him to the class room where I found it a total mess, (she doesn't usually clean up everyday) his lunch was in the fridge untouched- she never fed him!!!!!!!! I know that he had been asleep but she should have fed him upon waking and/or brought his lunch with him. His water cup was on the floor empty, his socks were strewn about, and I found a bag containing items like extra clothes, his 2 crib sheets (so whose sheets are in his crib?) his cup to keep at school, which I don't think has been used at all.

I like my job and I don't have to pay any out of pocket expenses for tuiton for him but I don't want him at a place where this is the care he receives. I want to pull him out but I really need the job. I can't afford childcare anywhere else and I have no one else to watch him. Should I pull him out and quit or stay there and complain?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I would look at what you wrote and try to separate what is a big deal (not having his food) and what is not (socks on the floor). Figure out what your major issues are with the care and then what you think the solutions would be. Sit down with the caregiver, ask her if she has a schedule for the day, how she thinks things are going, let her know that you need DS to eat his food, and if not, you need to be informed that he didn't eat. You need his crib sheets on his crib. You need her to be on time so you can do your job. Etc. Let her know your expectations.

You might need to find a new care situation, but you might be able to work this out. A lot depends on the caregiver and you! Good luck.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I agree a sit-down with written expectations (e.g. showing up on time, feeding all meals, etc.) is a first step. Second, I would get other parents involved. 1 parent complaining is a overprotective parent, all 3 parents complaining is a serious deal! Even if it is the director's daughter. If nothing happens, and you have all sat down with her, all given expectations and all gotten nowhere with her and the director, I would start talking to the higher ups in your place of work. They need to know that providing less than adequate childcare is distracting from your productivity.

I am sorry you have to deal with this!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.