Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are at a complete loss on what to do about my son's eating problems. Over the last couple years he has significantly reduced the items he will eat.

99% of what he will eat is absolute junk food. If he gets his hands on soda, chips, cookies of any kind he will devour them. The stuff he will eat is not all that healthy either, but it's better. He will eat a quesadilla. He will eat a peanut butter sandwhich. He will sometimes eat a cheese sandwich. He will sometimes eat canned corn. I'm not exaggerating when I say that is the extent of what he will eat that isn't straight up junk food. He will not touch a protein of any kind nor any vegetable or fruit aside from the occasional corn.

His junk food obsession is so bad that he will sneak and move a chair over and reach up WAY into the top baking cabinet and eat sprinkles and other baking decorations that are made of sugar/fondant. They are disgusting but he will eat them. He will hunt through the pantry for any junk food and eat it behind our backs and then claim he isn't hungry for breakfast/lunch/dinner. If we buy some snacks/drinks for soccer games we have to keep them locked in a vehicle or he will sneak and devour them. It is really bad.

I don't know how to address this. He won't eat real food that we make. We have 2 other kids that are good eaters and they can have snacks from time to time so I don't want to rid the house entirely of that stuff. My only other option is to lock up the food but I don't think that really addresses the issues. I don't know how to address them otherwise, or how to deal with the tantrums that are sure to come when he has zero access to food and has to eat what we make. Ugh.

·
Registered
738 Posts
is it possible

the issue is an emotional one? Some people eat junk when they are anxious/depressed/bored...do you do stuff like that? Sometimes kids mirror their parents. Otherwise, just stop buying crap. Then he can't get into it. One way I've dealt with this, because I can be a compulsive eater, is to not keep it in my house at all, and only buy it when I am out of the house as a special treat. For ex. instead of buying a giant tub of ice cream I will get one cone from an ice cream truck. Then it's done, got my treat but no more temptation. Do you eat in front of the TV? It's supposed to be bad for people with eating issues, also no pop or juice in the house. We just stopped buying juice as it's pretty much pure sugar, and now only buy it rarely (like in a heatwave). Sugar is hard on the kidneys and actually makes you thirstier. My son will forgo many reasonable treats and will sneak sugar which is gross, but it's hard to not have some sugar in the house for coffee and baking. Another thing that can alter tastebuds is consumption of highly salted, sugared, fatty, processed foods. Eating this food makes regular food taste boring or bland. So if you aren't already, switching to super basic foods that are homemade might help him get back to "normal", canned soups for ex. are so extremely high in salt as are many canned foods. Drink only water with meals. Also, he may be vitamin defficient, so maybe he should take a multi vitamin? Have you talked with a doctor about it? Could it be a medical issue?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ask him to make a list of ten dinners that he will eat. Let him take his time on this but impose that these be actual food not junk foods. Then have those dinners more often for a while. I am thinking that this approach will help remind him that he in fact does like regular food.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts