Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else out there is dealing with bad, bad headaches?? Now I get one as I'm going to bed at night and then in the morning it is TERRIBLE. I've been throwing up and I'm not sure if its the headache or morning sickness. But it all goes away by 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I used to get migraines a while back and I'm wondering if thats whats going on or if its just hormonal.. HELP!!!!!
:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I don't know a lot about migraines, but I'm pretty sure they can be triggered by hormones, so it could be both. Also, it could have to do with dehydration from all the vomiting. Sorry I'm not much help - maybe someone else has BTDT and will have some great advice for you...

·
Registered
184 Posts
in non-pregnant life i get a migraine every month or so.. but since being pregnar i haven't had them as often. that said, i did have ONE a few weeks ago that lasted 6 days and made me want to die. there was nothing i could take (tylenol has zero effect on migraines for me) or do for relief and it was totally horrible. it feels unfair to go to bed with your head splitting and then wake up and it hasn't gone away.

can't say if the hormones had any effect on the duration of it though, as i have occasionally had migraines last that long previously.

all i could do for it was lie in a cool dark room and try not to move.

usually tiger balm applied to the back of my neck helps a lot but it let me down this time. my headaches seem to start with tension in my neck so that is why it usually helps.. maybe it would help with your headaches?

anyway sorry i have no big answers for you.. hope your head feels better soon..

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I get migraines, but, luckily, never had one during pg with DS (and none so far this pg.)

Migraines are not just "bad headaches", but specifically involve single sided pain, nausea, sensitivity to light, and sometimes weird "auras" (like heat waves for me) in your vision. My MW told me there are medications that can be prescribed if a migraine occurs during pg, but not during the first trimester. Talk to your provider if you think you have migraines. Usually, you need to keep a headache log for a while to get an accurate diagnosis for migraine. Frequently, CAT scans, etc. are done to rule out other brain problems during a serious headache workup.

I get my special "pregnancy headaches" that are different from my usual headaches. They feel like my head is inflated with pressure and are not single-sided like migraine.

Neck/shoulder tension triggers my headaches (in combination with hormones, hunger, dehydration, fatigue, food and chemical sensitivities.)

Even migraine can be prevented by acupuncture or massage or sometimes chiropractic manipulation if you can get to a provider early enough in the progression.

--willo

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
My headaches in pregnancy are always due to not eating enough protein. They are my cue to eat more protein more often. Make sure you are eating a high protein snack right before going to bed, and right when you wake up. Headaches can also be attributed to dehydration. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I have only had one headache so far (not I probably will get more for typing that!). I did get them when I was pregnant with DD. I thought there were due to pregnancy and dealt with them. I was drinking and eating enough so I knew it wasn't because of that!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts