Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well we discovered major amounts of LEAD in all of our windows, which worries me as i probably have passed some on to the baby. our house is 70 years old.i am getting tested for it next week.

we have sealed up all of our windows - which makes me sad as i am a fresh air junkie. at least we can keep the doors open and the fans on. but as of now, no more lead. and no chance of the kid playing in lead dust (which for all of these years has been blowing in every time the wind blows......nice) i am also going to take more calcium and iron which is about all i can do. ugh. and pregnant women leach calcium (and LEAD) out of their bones while PG and breastfeeding, making it even worse.

in the meantime, i have learned so many other f-#$%&*@ up toxic things about the stuff in our house, from our tempur-pedic mattress to....you name it.

so i am setting about to de-tox the house for the baby. of course we are getting the zero-VOC paints to repaint, and will replace our bed with a futon or natural latex (anyone have a DH with severe back problems who found a good natural mattress?).

we are getting only solid wood furniture for the kid (found out that composite stuff has toxic glues that outgass for years) and most important an organic mattress for the crib (did you know mattresses treated w/anti flammable stuff, and mattresses made of certain foams, etc have been implicated in SIDS?).......

luckily we already have wood floors and all of the couches are already futons. unluckily so many household staples (tv, computer) are made of plastics that outgass nasty crap into the air. oh well.

ANYONE have any advice/inspiration/ideas please add.

blargh!

deb

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Most of the plastics that are used in the manufacture of things like televisions and such do not off-gas for years, they are thermosets and do not contain all the plasticizers and things that thermoplastics do.

My advice, what do you think is worse, the possibility (not certainty) or toxins in those things, or the stress of worrying about them. I personally think the stress is worse. I try to make good decisions before purchasing things, but when all is said and done, the stress of worrying about every little thing is probably FAR worse for you and your family than anything else.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i agree, but my new philosophy will be "if i can control it, i will"

thus the natural paints and lack of poison mattresses, etc. i wil learn all i can and then do all i can afford. (if i was a millionaire i would go all organic cottons, etc...alas)

DH is currently freaking out and wants me to get the lead blood test asap.

deb

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've been somewhat agonizing over the mattress situation myself. My dd and I cosleep, she hasn't slept on her crib mattress ever. But heck if I can afford a large organic/natural mattress. You do what you can do, but I am the same way...if I can control it, I will. I think your plan of repainting is good but I just don't think you can really worry about the tv, computer, etc. Good luck mattress hunting.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
they sell these allergy cover-things for mattresses--they're super-tightly knit to keep out dust mites and such, but i've read that they're also great at keeping formaldehyde fumes IN, so you don't have to shell out 5 grand for a nontoxic mattress, just maybe 150 bucks for a cover
well, it's an idea!

i have this booklet back home that has TONS of links/advice on stuff like this...i got it from my mom...i wonder if she knows the website it's from... if i find out more i will post it

Good luck!! and i tend to agree about your stressin'--try to take it easy mama!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.