Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>DD is 12 and a half months.  I've been CDing since she was about 3 months.  We're having major leakage problems at night.  I think I've tried just about everything.  When I first started CDing, I used a one size FuzziBunz stuffed with an insert and hemp.  It worked great until she was about 9 months then I couldn't get the size right so I switched to Fuzzi Bunz Mediums which worked great for a few months.  Then we started getting leaks again. So I switched to fitted diapers (Bububebe or BSRB TIAN) with a wool cover (I tried shorties and longies).  Still had leaks.  I even tried Pampers 12 hours and had leaks. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>The problem appears to be caused by how DD sleeps.  She sleeps on her tummy, slightly up on her knees with her butt sticking up in the air.  I think that she is peeing out of the front of the diapers because of the angle. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I tried not giving her much to drink for about an hour before bed which helped a lot with the leaking but then she wakes up earlier wanting to eat. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any  ideas? </p>

·
Registered
18 Posts
<p>humm. I've never had a leak with Thirsties covers!</p>

·
Registered
850 Posts
<p>what does she wear over the diaper cover? will somewhat-tight leggings bring the diaper closer to her body, therefore making the pee go straight onto the diaper instead of peeing out of the front?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>i also have never had leaks with thirsties, but i dont like to use them at night since i prefer wool. but maybe you could give it a try...</p>

·
Registered
545 Posts
We had big nighttime issues with DS2 until we switched to a Dancing Bears overnight cover. It's incredible! Can't wait until the new baby fits into it!

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Thirsties leak for me at night because my kids are side sleepers. Wool covers like Disana are the only thing that doesn't leak for me at night.

·
Registered
136 Posts
<p>We have this probelm too except we use Bum Genius one size pockets.  I use a square washcloth inside the diaper but not in the pocket itself and fold the top in the front down on the inside just a bit.  the idea is to attemp to hold all urine until the diaper can absorb it.  i also still have to change her once before I go to bed (between midnight and 2am usually) or when she wakes us about the same time.  she usually hits the hay between 8 and 9pm.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I was just coming to this forum to ask the same question though because sometimes that still doesn't work and it promotes diaper rash because it's a rougher terry cloth.  on the other hand baby isn't moving about a whole lot while sleeping like when running around in the daytime so I just try to be really good about changing her before i go to bed and first thing in the morning. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>more suggestions from mamas who have experimented, please!!!</p>

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
<p>Let out the rise on the BG if you can.  Use a thin doubler folded up inside the front of the pocket, in addition to the regular inserts.  Then try a fleece soaker over all - Dancing Bears are great.</p>

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Most likely either you dont have enough absorbency or you have a repelling problem. Or both.<br><br>
How snug is the dipe across her tummy? Is there a big gap? You may need a dipe w 2 rows of snaps so you can get the legs and tummy each to the right tightness. Is the entire dipe soaked in the morning? How many hours is she going between changes?<br><br>
What wool cover have you tried? Theyre not all created equally. I love my Babyology covers, they're nearly bulletproof. The only time we had a leak was when the dipe somehow came unfastened. Bonus is they're pretty cheap. You need at least 2 to rotate, since they take about a day to dry out.<br><br>
It took trial end error to figure out, but my super soaker soaks 2trifold pfs, a heavy duty hemp doubler and a MF insert in 12 hrs. I use a Happy Hempy, stuffed w all that under a babyology wool every night. Doesnt matter what position he sleeps in (and he sleeps in them all), but the only leaks we've had were as i said above. When the wool is really wet in the am, then i know i need to increase the absorbency (damp is fine).<br><br>
ETA - PUL cover is a guaranteed leak for us at night.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<p>Update - I think we've found a solution.  At least it's worked for the last few nights.  First, I give DD her milk (she's weaned) about an hour before bed.  It was a little hard for her to adjust to not getting a bottle of milk right before bed but it's working now.  I tried buying a potty and putting her on it but that was a failure.  (I haven't really read much about EC so I probably didn't know what I was doing.)  I put her in a prefold or a Sandies fitted diaper right before the big bottle of milk.  When I change her before bed, she is soaking. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Then for nighttime, I use Little Beetle wool pants (the ones that have the little diaper cover inside).  I use a fitted diaper with snaps, instead of a snappie.  The Little Beetle pants have an elastic waistband so they do a better job than the wool soakers. </p>
<p> </p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts