Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone has some insight or ideas on this -- it happened with my first daughter, too, but not until much later, when she was around 8 months -- and we've purchased a new freezer since then.<br><br>
DD2 is almost 12 weeks, and I go back to work this week. I have been pumping and freezing milk for over a month now, and I thought it was supposed to be good in the freezer for two months -- we have a separate fridge/freezer, and the milk is on the top shelf, not on the door. However, I have found that the milk I pumped and froze the third week of September already smells bad!<br><br>
I tasted it, too, and it doesn't taste sweet like the fresh milk. I've dumped probably 20 ounces so far, and it's killing me. I have a reasonable freezer supply, and should be ok for this first week of daycare (only two days), after which I'll mostly be able to send fresh stuff for her, but should the milk go bad in the freezer after only a month?<br><br>
Here's the skinny on how I store it: I pump into Medela or Gerber 6 ounce bottles and cover them with a cap or a sealing disc/ring immediately after I pump. I put them directly from the pump into the freezer, standing up, and then when they're frozen solid, I stack them in a box in the freezer. We defrost by putting the frozen bottle in the fridge the night before we need to use it. By morning, it's usually still mostly frozen, and we defrost the rest of the way in a mug of hot water. The stuff that smells bad seems to smell even when it's still frozen, but smells much worse defrosted.<br><br>
What can I do to make it last longer? I was told back when this happened to DD1 that sometimes mamamilk can start digesting itself. If that's the case, I just can't have a freezer stash? Help!<br><br>
Thank you!!!

·
Premium Member
14,874 Posts
maybe try lansinoh bags I dont think bottle seal all the way all the tme

·
Registered
411 Posts
could the lipase be the problem?<br><a href="http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/lipase-expressedmilk.html" target="_blank">http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html</a>

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I bet it's the lipase problem too. If so, it's not harmful. Baby probably won't care. My dd didn't care although my dh was horrified I was giving her 'off' milk.<br><br>
I had this problem with my dd - a few hours at room temp and it'd smell icky. Same with after freezing. Funnily enough, this time with my ds, I haven't had the same problem.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
have you tried using glass bottles? glass is much less porous than plastic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts