Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 16w MW appt. yesterday; it was lovely, as usual -- we sat on my couch, drank peppermint tea, and chatted for about 2 hrs.

Eventually, I lay down for HB check and measurements. When I first got my fetal doppler several weeks ago (yep, paranoid, post-m/c mama here
), I called my MW in a panic when I couldn't find the hb on my own. So she came over at 8:30 at night (now that's a fantastic HCP!) and we figured out that I was searching way too low, b/c it turns out my fundus was considerably higher than she/I thought it would be.

Anyway, that's still the case 3 wks. later: I'm measuring almost 4 wks. ahead now, fundus is above my belly button.

Now, I think the reason for this is that this is my 7th pg and clearly my uterus is, ahem, well-used and roomy, you know, like your favorite old pair of sneakers.

Just reassure me that's the only explanation for this, please, and that my measurements from 20w on will settle back down to normal (they're supposed to be more accurate then, I'm told.) I've never measured big for dates before; this is a new one for me.

And in case anyone is wondering, I had 3 early u/s with this pg b/c of a SCH: at 5w, 6w, and 8w, all showing ONE very small baby. So I can definitively rule out twins, can't I?

Please distract me with tales of your super-large uteruses, too!

Guin

·
Registered
647 Posts
I had an appt this week and she said I am measuring about 3 weeks ahead also. I am 20plus weeks. This is #4 for me and she said its b/c I have had other babies. I too have had an u/s already that showed one baby in there.

Your description of your MW sounds lovely. Wish I had a MW around here. Sounds like fantastic care.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm ahead by 1 or 2 wks - can't remember now, but for me, that's like being ahead by 3-4 and even 5 wks as I've NEVER EVER EVEr measured on track let alone ahead.....

I've not had an u/s yet tho, so I don't have the reassurance of your previous u/s! LOL

That being said, I've also been told by a few friends that with their 4th and 5th they had a major growth spurt in the beginning (wks 14-19 or so) and then slowed right down to more normal.....

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm sorry, my answer isn't going to be what you're hoping to hear..

Having multiple pregnancies is NOT the only reason you could possibly be measuring ahead. With my last pregnancy, at 28 weeks, I was measuring ahead (33 weeks). My OB ordered an ultrasound to determine whether baby was big, there was excess amniotic fluid, etc. The day after my ultrasound (a few days shy of 29 weeks), before anyone got the test results back, I went into preterm labor. I spent 3 weeks in the hospital being pumped full of drugs to keep the labor from progressing until my body finally forced its way through all those drugs and I gave birth at 32 weeks gestation.

The cause of my uterus measuring big for date was polyhydramios (excess amniotic fluid), due to a blockage in baby's intestines that kept him from being able to swallow and process the amniotic fluid like he's supposed to. So instead of a cycle of fluid being made, baby swallowing it, processing it, and peeing it out, followed by more fluid being made to replace what was lost, I was just making more and more fluid. By the time I gave birth at 32 weeks, my uterus was the size of a full term twin pregnancy, my stomach was so tight that even the lightest touch was painful, and my organs were so squished that I could only fit literally 3-4 bites of food into my stomach at a time and I was having trouble breathing.

My situation isn't very common, and there are other causes of polyhydramios, but my point was if you continue to measure large for dates, especially if you start measuring even farther ahead, please consider getting some testing done. Because there was no way to fix the blockage in utero, there was no way to keep me from going into preterm labor (all they could do was keep it from progressing for as long as possible. I was in labor the full 2.5 weeks I was in the hospital, just not progressing. NOT FUN.), but once they got the ultrasound results back they knew DS was going to need surgery after birth so I was able to be transferred to a hospital that was best equipped to handle it.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Yep, measuring ahead here too! About 20 cm at 17 weeks. I measured ahead in the last trimester of my other two pregnancies, then had LGA babies, but I've never been ahead this early. My OB said that there's variance in measuring, so he's not worried. BUT, I'm on edge because polyhydramnios is a sign of 22q, the syndrome my younger son has. Babies born with 22q have swallowing problems, which means they can't swallow the amniotic fluid (similar to the problem a PP wrote about). Connor didn't have that problem in utero, but it still makes me nervous!

Anyway...just waiting until my 20 week ultrasound!! I forget...are you having an ultrasound?

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
A friend also had polyhydramios and was told by her MW that everything was probably fine- just measuring big. She went into PTL at 28wks and her baby girl didn't make it
I'd definately get the fluid level checked via u/s. Hopefully it's just a nice roomy uterus

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your stories. Yep, I'm definitely having an u/s between 20-22 weeks, to check on a number of things -- heart, first and foremost, and any other obvious markers for genetic issues, since I have a previous hx, but also placental placement (b/c of my previous section) and now, apparently, amniotic fluid. Oh, and gender would be nice, too, lol!

Guin

·
Registered
834 Posts
I know I posted before that we're not worried, but I guess I should have added 'at this point'. I agree that it can be just the way a Mum measures but I agree that if the pattern remains, then further testing could be done to rule out any other issues!

Hence the reason for my 20wk scan coming up....

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes I am also measuring big. I am in my 20th week and I am measuring at 26 weeks! This is my second pregnancy and everything is feeling really good so I am not to worried about it although, my uterus is already cramping my lungs which makes for some discomfort.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.