Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I make my DS go to bed at a reasonable hour? He is so tired because before DD came we would sleep until he was ready to wake up. Now she wants to wake up early and he can't sleep by himself in the AM. He cannot go to sleep without us ALL being in the bed either. This is a problem because I stay up late to get things picked up in the house. Should I just start planning on going to bed earlier and having him skip a nap? That can be a grusome day with no nap. I need the quiet even if it is not but 20 mins while DD naps. Ok, thanks for listening and TIA for all your replies.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I think that would be good but he has a 1 1/2 hour nap now and he wakes himself. I was just thinking that if he didn't have a nap he would sleep longer and harder in the night.
:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
It has been in my experience that a child who is not ready to give up his nap will NOT sleep better at night. In fact, its been my experience that the better the nap, the better the nighttime sleep is and vice versa. Sleep begets sleep.

I dont have 2 kids, but here's my advice!!LOL

Can you get stuff done when he is napping?
Can you lay down with him until he falls asleep at night and then sneak out to get things done? Can dh lay down with him?
I'm not sure what you think is a reasonable time, but if you want him down earlier, maybe the naptime could be earlier too?
If he skips his nap and you all go to bed earlier, I dont see how you will get more stuff done, kwim? I get a lot of stuff done in the evening when dh gives ds his bath, and gets him ready for bed. Basically my dh does the whole bedtime routine, and I do a sweep of the house until I need to nurse ds down. In your case, can dh give ds a bath, and you can either pick up teh house with your baby in the sling OR dh can have the baby in a sling or playing on a blanket on the floor in the bathroom while he gives ds his bath. I dunno, just bouncing back some ideas for you.

I know how you feel though, I am glad that ds lets me put him down and then me and dh spend about an hour together, then we all go to bed. We need that one hour to talk, and see how each other is doing. The rest of the day is too hectic to talk then.

hth

1 - 4 of 4 Posts