Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your best arguments for following the vaccine schedule?

For me, after having delayed vaccines with my oldest kid, I realized that most of the concerns I had about vaccine safety were not legitimate, because my fears were based on scary stories I had read, but weren't supported by good evidence.

When I realized how safe vaccines really are, then it was easy for me to not only become a vaccine advocate, but an advocate for the vaccine schedule as it is (and any future changes that are based on evidence). Because in my view, there is no reason to reject a safe vaccine that can prevent serious illness in infants, even if that particular illness might be uncommon or rare. The vaccine schedule is designed to do exactly that-- protect infants when they are most vulnerable.

I know most families that choose to delay vaccines or even not to vax at all will do fine with that choice, but I look at alternative and delayed schedules with a lot of skepticism because the entire ideology behind them is that vaccines are more dangerous and the diseases are less of a concern than ACIP recommendations (in the US) suggest. I just don't buy it anymore. To me, that's fear mongering.

The US vaccine schedule is reviewed and updated every year. Thousands of studies show its safety. Prevention is the best medicine, and vaccines are the best preventive medicine that our current healthcare system has to offer. Obviously good diet, rest and exercise are important lifestyle habits for us to adopt to prevent lifestyle diseases like heart disease, diabetes and chronic malnutrition, but vaccines prevent specific diseases by giving our immune system a head start in recognizing an infection so that we can fight it off.

It just makes sense. Right?

How do you all respond to celebrities and celeb doctors who say "I'm not anti-vaccine" but they still talk about alternative schedule as if it's better, and overstate the risks of vaccines beyond what the evidence shows? To me, that is anti-vaccine because they are rejecting the best evidence and promoting myths that the recommended vaccines are unsafe to those of us without known precautions/contraindications.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Some of reasons cited for delaying spreading out vaccines seem erroneous to me. For example, if you're concerned about vaccine preservatives or aluminum adjuvant, your child will actually get a higher dose of these on an individual vaccine schedule. If you're worried about neurological effects---neuroplasticity is higher in infants and toddlers so it will be easier to overcome any adverse effects (which are highly unlikely in the first place).

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Personal I just realise there's a lot of nuance the vaccine science which I might be missing. I would deviate significantly from the schedule without really good reason. That said it's not an exact science so a few months here or there can't matter. As we've moved continents with the little ones it's not actually possible to be completely on schedule with any single country, so I think we follow it more in spirit than to the letter!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts