Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at some ways to make a bunch of wetbags. I understand PUL & have found some patterns/instructions online for making zippered bags using PUL. But I wondered if anyone had attempted to just sew a bag & sew in a heavy-duty ziploc-type bag as a waterproof liner? I'm thinking that the stitching would be along the top edge of the baggie, above the 'zip' closure ...

·
Registered
590 Posts
I haven't tried this but I also think that oil cloth ( table cloth) from the sewing store would work great as well. IT is cheap and very cut and easy to work with. I know that my MIL has coated everything including a dog bed with it and had no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Nylon works well too. Like fabric used for tents... Sometimes you can find a good nylon at local fabric stores, I'm not sure about JoAnns or Hancock, but you could call and ask them what they have that is water resitant.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
My only fear with ziploc is that it couldn't be put in the washer and dryer (and hold up or last one round).

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I made a bag and just put a Ziploc gallon bag inside it. That way it dressed up the ziploc, but it wasn't actually sewn in. Ziplocs will only last a few handwashing before there is a hole or something else going on, so I would encourage you to make a bag that just "holds" the ziploc.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point guys, thanks for finding the flaw. I think I'll just experiment with a bunch of the water-resistant/waterproof fabrics & see what seems fun.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I used an old shower curtain, it worked really well and lasted forever.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Quote:
I used an old shower curtain, it worked really well and lasted forever.
Good idea!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.