Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>so i'm new to cd ing and decided to make my own any one else make there own? have any good tips?</p>
<p>I have brought 4 different kinds of dipes to try any tips on that?</p>

·
Registered
405 Posts
<p>Did you check out the crafts section of MDC? There's a whole sub-forum for diaper-making, and I found lots of useful info there (but ended up just making doublers, and haven't made any real fitteds yet!)</p>

·
Registered
479 Posts
<p>I've made fitteds- there are tons of tutorials online. I just used a material on the outside that a Snappi would work with and then I didn't have to worry about attaching fasteners.</p>

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
<p>There is a yahoo group on cloth diaper sewing, then a baby center group and a whole group at diaperswappers. </p>
<p>If you google free diaper patterns, a whole bunch will come up. Cloth revolution is one of them and I'm using it. I purchased the pattern for my covers (sizes preemie through XXL, with gussets like Thristies covers) from New Conceptions for like $12 I think. With flannel you can make fitted diapers, the fleece depends on what fleece, only expensive fleece like Malden Mills will work as diaper cover. Some people like anti-pill fleece from Joann as cover, but it can cause compression leaks. A good outer choice is PUL fabric, Hancocks has it, Joanns has it (however people have had bad experiences with this one) and many online stores. I prefer fabric.com since they are cheap, have dozens of colors, you can order half yards and free shipping over $35. I also needed aplix/velcro and fold-over-elastic for my covers, I get those at kidsinthegarden.com. I purchased snap pliers from Kamsnaps and I am very happy with them. All in all I spent a few bucks, but I have dozens of fitteds, covers, AOIs and pockets in the house and used  the snap pliers to repair old diapers and other things in the house.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
<p>Moved to Diaper Making.</p>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<p>thanks nia</p>
<p>yea i spent a bit of time last night making an AIO with pul from joanns i got a pattern from joanns for a diaper cover and used that to make it.</p>
<p>i got a lot of blizzard fleece too, just gotta figure out what to do with it</p>

·
Registered
75 Posts
<p>I like the Rita's Rump Pockets pattern.  I make it both as a pocket and, applying snaps on the inner fabric only, use it with snap in doublers for nighttime use for my super soaker grandson.  Cloth Revolutions pattern is good as well.  There are a lot of different patterns out there and if you can afford it a diaper with a gusset tends to hold in more of the nursing baby stool but they aren't an essential thing.  Back in the dark ages 29 years ago I used good old prefolds - it was either that or the Curity Gauze ones you had to fold yourself - and my kids survived just fine. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>The bells and whistles are nice but the best thing to do is to try several patterns, free if possible, and then use the one that you feel most comfortable with.Take into account cost, amount of fabric needed, availability of fabric, and the time it takes to make them.  You can find patterns for AIOs that have the cover attached to the diaper as well.  Some moms really like those but others would rather have a separate cover since they can be reused.  You can also use felted wool for covers - when lanolized, they are extremely effective in keeping the wetness in the diaper and off baby's clothes.  They also don't have to be washed as often and are, for those who don't have wool allergies, a viable alternative to PUL since they breathe and are a more natural product.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Check out <a href="http://www.naturesfabrics.com/" target="_blank">Nature's Fabrics</a> for some neat bamboo fabrics.  Bamboo is an up and coming component of cloth diapers and mama pads since bamboo is a sustainable and renewable resource, one that grows quickly and reproduces with little effort.  The fibers are used to make a viscose product which is then combined with cotton, hemp or both and made into fleece, terry, velour and other fabrics that are great for diapers.  Bamboo also has natural antibiotic properties which makes it good for diapers since diapers can grow some nasty stuff if not taken care of in a timely manner.  Nature's Fabrics sells bamboo fabrics, cotton fabrics, PUL in many colors and prints, wool, and many other fabrics that a sewing mama will find an asset when making diapers and clothes for their little one. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Take your time, find the pattern and fabrics that work for you, and then go to town.  You may decide to use all one kind of diapers or to use several different styles for different situations.  The great thing about today's cloth diapers is that there are so many alternatives we can all find one or more that work for us. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Kudos to you for wrapping your newborn's bottom in soft, absorbent fabric instead of paper, plastic and petroleum beads!!</p>

·
Registered
13 Posts
<p> i love RRP's and Ive created quite the stash, but I realized the 'fits most' is going to be too big for a new born. any good patterns for covers that would fit RRP's?</p>

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
<p>i printed rrp @ 80% and it was perfect for newborn!!!</p>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts