Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just starting CDing my 4 mon. old and am trying my hand at making diaper covers. Its going pretty well so far!
: But I'm trying to make it a bit less bulky and have heard that microfiber is really absorbant. I saw microfiber cleaning cloths (about the size of a dish towel -maybe larger) at Walmart the other day and wondered if I folded one of those up in the cover how absorbant would it be compared to just a basic prefold. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Please don't put microfiber directly against baby's skin. It sucks away too much moisture to be able to be used directly against the skin. Microfiber cloths from retail stores tend to be hit or miss; I've had the best luck with the yellow ones from Costco. You can also order microfiber by the yard at First Gear on Hyena Cart.

Most people do three layers of microfiber. I'd imagine if you topped it with microfleece of some sort, it would be fine to just lay in a cover.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Micro fiber is really absorbant - but I agree with alwaysbymyside that said - don't put it next to baby's skin!

My favorite inserts for a pocket style diaper are a combo of microfiber and hemp - very absorbant. When I need an extra doubler in my prefolds, I always use hemp. We like bamboo, too!

Another place to buy online is kidsinthegarden.com. She has a good selection and is very nice to work with.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
Do you ladies who use microfiber as an insert have a problem with it holding onto smells?
I did when I had hard water. Now that I don't, I have no smell issues.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I love to stuff pocket diapers with the microfiber from Costco. I think $10 for 25 towels! So cheap! They are already the right size (but you can cut them and they won't fray), and they come out of the pocket in the wash so everything gets really clean.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
We get occasional stink issues, but I don't notice that the mf is any stinkier than anything else... I just strip everything and we're good to go for another 6-8 weeks.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I layer microfiber and flannel and then serge around the outside of them for awesome doublers! Like 4 layers of flannel and 3 of microfiber- then the flannel is all that touches the skin and I think they absorb more than just microfiber on microfiber.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.