Mothering Forum banner

making PJs need help

495 Views 2 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  FireWithin
I am really unhappy with what is commercially available for children's pajamas. The material is terrible and the costs are high.
I had a wahm make a pj set for me last year and I was thrilled with it. I just can't afford to have her make all of DS pjs.

I am looking for material, and a pattern for over a month now and I feel overwhelmed. I look and look at websites and don't make a decision. I just don't know enough.

This is what I want.

The WAHM made a raglan sleeve shirt and pantset with cuffs. They have lasted for over a year because of these cuffs. I adore them.

I like knit material but am not sure if it is the way to go for a semi-beginner. Will flannel also work well? I am concerned about its lack of stretch.

What kind of knit material works well? Is it just called "knit" or is it "rib knit" What were the cuffs made out of?" it looked like plain rib knit folded over and sewn into a cuff.

Where can I find a easy pattern that has raglan sleeves?

If a material is just labeled "100% cotton" do I assume that it is just a woven material, not appropriate for what I want?

hmm any more questions??? I will think about it.

thanks!!!!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Do you think this New Look pattern will work for you? It is a knit raglan top, woven pants with a rib knit cuff. I think it is what you described.

You can buy New Look patterns at Wal-Mart or Joann's, or maybe other stores but those two I know for sure. They are pretty well written and designed. Be sure to measure your son and chose the size you make by his measurements.

If you want to try to make some jammies for your son, I would start with the bottoms. Wovens like flannel are easier to work with for most sewers and often cheaper. The cuff at the bottom is a knit, you can use a rib knit, a t-shirt knit or even the tops from a pair of socks. The awesome thing about jammie pants is that they almost always come out good enough for sleeping, and you can pair them with a t-shirt that you buy if you don't get around to making a matching top.

For the raglan sleeve top, you will want knits. The top can be all the same knit or you can chose coordinating fabrics. Cotton interlock or jersey would be perfect. Raglan sleeves are easy to sew as long as you keep track of the front and the back edges. The neck band is usually the hardest to get right. Before you sew it in, stretch it around your son's head to make sure it is wide enough to pull on but not too wide. If you need more details than the pattern gives, let us know.

Quote:
If a material is just labeled "100% cotton" do I assume that it is just a woven material, not appropriate for what I want?
Both knits and wovens come in 100% cotton, cotton/poly blends, and polyester. Hemp blends can be nice. The description should give you some clue as to whether it is a knit or a woven.

If I were to buy fabric for this project (which I wouldn't need to since I already have yards of flannels and knits in tubs in my basement, :LOL) I would probably order from Sewzannes . She has a great selection of knits in solids and prints as well as flannels, and I've heard nothing but great things about her business.

Good luck, I hope this helps!
See less See more
great info it really helps me a lot.
See less See more
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.