Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally bought some popsicle holders today, and ds was all excited about making popsicles. We blended up some oj, plain yogurt, a dash of vanilla, and a few shakes of sugar (cuz it was pretty tart without it). But they never got super frozen solid. The sticks would just pull right out. We ended up getting a spoon and eating it out of the popsicle mold.

We did one with just plain oj, but that one was super frozen and hard like an ice cube. I hate popsicles that are really hard. Ds likes creamy or soft icy, I like soft icy.

So, what is the secret? What I am I missing? I need to make this poor kid some yummy popsicles tomorrow! (He specifically requested strawberry - any ideas?)

·
Registered
820 Posts
hmm, interesting. maybe too much yogurt?

but yes, more liquid= icy popsicles. more yogurt/milk= more creamy popsicles.

we love frozen smoothie popsicles here. yogurt, OJ, frozen fruits. Bananas are a must!! Two ripe bananas totally sweeten up a blender of smoothies/popsicles, so we don't need to add sweetener.

Some of our favorite mixes
-milk, yogurt, frozen strawberries and bananas. nice and creamy.
-OJ, pineapples, bananas, mangoes. yum!
-coconut milk, pineapples, and bananas. this is my favorite!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Coconut milk, pineapple & the juice of a lime! One of my best friends made this concoction for the kids & I thought I was on a tropical vacation. Now I have all of the supplies except for popsicle molds! I need to go on a hunt for them. Lou I'm going to try your suggestions too!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
It might be that the popsicles are too hard to get out of the mold--I always either wait a few minutes, set them in warm water, or run them under hot water to loosen them up.

I think that creamy ingredients tend to make the popsicles a little more crumbly, but they can be used anyway with some care.

(Our popsicle mold uses wooden sticks and I think this may help since they are porous-- not sure though)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EricaLeigh
Coconut milk, pineapple & the juice of a lime! One of my best friends made this concoction for the kids & I thought I was on a tropical vacation. Now I have all of the supplies except for popsicle molds! I need to go on a hunt for them. Lou I'm going to try your suggestions too!
[hijack]
My goodness that sounds spectacular!! I can't wait until my coconut cream concentrate arrives so I can give this a try - thanks! [/hijack]

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mmmm, thanks for the ideas. I am going to try some of these.

And as an update, the yogurt ones did end up freezing (my bad, I guess we didn't wait long enough), but there was clear liquid (maybe the whey?) at the tip/bottom of the popsicle. Is there any way around that?

And this may be for advanced popsicle makers, but my ds keeps asking to make rainbow popsicles. I realize this is done by adding layers, but if you wait for one layer to freeze before adding the next, how to you keep the stick in? Do you wait for each layer to just solidfy a bit but not totally freeze, and then put the stick in at the very end? These are very serious problems that must be addressed!

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Yes, you can just partially freeze between layers. But if you are using a thick smoothie type mixture, you can do it w/o freezing if you are careful pouring it into the molds. I would start off with a light colored layer (maybe banana and yogurt), add strawberries to the blender to make a pink layer, then add blueberries or spinach to what remained in the blender to make either a purple or a green layer. That was easier than blending up separate batches. If you use frozen berries, the mixture will be stiffer from the get go and speed up the freezing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts