Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, captain optimism, just riffing on your thread title.

This is in the news and current events, it involves a police cover-up, a celebrity, and events in the Middle East. Oy vey.

Oy vey twice.

·
Registered
214 Posts
How absolutely disgraceful. He should be ashamed of his behaviour and his horrible words. His previous bouts with alcoholism are no excuse to use such hatefueled language about anyone.

Fwiw, Mr. Gibson does not speak for all Catholics (thankfully), and I would hate to see people lump an entire group of people together because one ---- is a racist ---- and thinks his celebrity gives him some sort of entitlement.

edited before I got the finger-waving no-no smilie

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
I really don't get how people like that, with enough money for personal chauffers, drink and drive. It is easier to understand the broke alcholic, spending his last dime at the bar and having no choice, but the rich ones.... I just don't get why they don't have a cab or bodygaurd etc. drive them home.

I don't believe punishments are harsh enough for drunk driving. IMO you should NEVER drink and drive and if you do so should be charged with something along the lines of attempted manslaughter, because that is the risk you are taking when you D&D.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
IMO, he was d&d because he has a disease - alcoholism. So personally I think he needs treatment and compassion for that.

The anti-semitic remarks are a separate issue, imo. And just go to show that anti-semitism still lurks right below the surface even though a lot of people want to think of it as a thing of the past. Very scary & disturbing.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper-Bag-Princess
How absolutely disgraceful. He should be ashamed of his behaviour and his horrible words.
According to his own statements, he is

Quote:
In a statement at the weekend, the Australian-raised actor said he was "deeply ashamed" of his behaviour. He had "said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable".
Now, which is the real Mel? I have no idea. I also don't care all that much (wich is why I didn't read past the headline when this came out on the news sites).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPentor
According to his own statements, he is

Now, which is the real Mel? I have no idea. I also don't care all that much (wich is why I didn't read past the headline when this came out on the news sites).
His "apology" doesn't negate his nastiness. I find the whole celebrity "don't you know who I am" mentality, laughable at best and pathetic at worst. His anti-semitic venom is inexcusable whether he is sober or not, it's unnerving what things people will say when they think they are above reproach. Blech.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Agreed. What a jerk.

You had said he should be ashamed and I found that ironic given that he did say, in those words, that he was ashamed.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper-Bag-Princess
I don't understand. What's ironic? That I used the word ashamed or that he used that specific word too?
The irony was that you said "he should be ashamed" after reading an article in which he was quoted as saying, "I am ashamed."

Quote:
sleep deprivation is kicking in.....
I know what you mean. I stayed up all night on Friday night watching a man grow closer and closer to death. It was physically and emotionally exhausting

·
Registered
214 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPentor
The irony was that you said "he should be ashamed" after reading an article in which he was quoted as saying, "I am ashamed."

Yes, probably some sort of subconscious action on my part (and sounds like something my mother would say, lol!)

I know what you mean. I stayed up all night on Friday night watching a man grow closer and closer to death. It was physically and emotionally exhausting

fwiw, I am sorry that you had to go through that and for your loved one, may they find peace.

edited because I can never split up the quotations correctly. See what I mean? The little guy believes that there is some party that he is missing every night....

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cielle
IMO, he was d&d because he has a disease - alcoholism. So personally I think he needs treatment and compassion for that.

The anti-semitic remarks are a separate issue, imo. And just go to show that anti-semitism still lurks right below the surface even though a lot of people want to think of it as a thing of the past. Very scary & disturbing.
:

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cielle

Being an alcholic does not make him eligible for compassion when he puts other peoples lives in danger by his actions, IMO. That is like saying a drug addict who kills for money to buy drugs should be given compassion because they are addicted. Every time a drunk driver gets on the road they are putting other peoples lives in danger when they have the option of drinking at home, calling a cab, sleeping in the car... or in the case of richie rich's like Mel, paying for a chauffer.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
The late, great Mitch Hedberg once said that Alcholism is a disease but it's the only disease that people yell at you for having. Compare:
"Mitch, you're an alcoholic!"
"Mitch, you have Lupis!"

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
Sure... and if you really want I'll look up the stats but lets compare:

# of achohol related rapes
# of alchohol related car deaths
# of alchohol related murders
# of alchohol related assaults

to

# of lupis related rapes
# of lupis related car deaths
# of lupis related murders
# of lupis related assaults.

See my point?

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
Sorry... I hear a lot about how alcholics are just suffering from a disease and nothing they do is their fault... seriously! My bad.

ETA: "my bad"... did I just date myself or do people still say that?

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pumpkinsmama
Sure... and if you really want I'll look up the stats but lets compare:

# of achohol related rapes
# of alchohol related car deaths
# of alchohol related murders
# of alchohol related assaults

to

# of lupis related rapes
# of lupis related car deaths
# of lupis related murders
# of lupis related assaults.

See my point?
No. There is a big difference. Just because alcohol was used in the commission of a crime doesn't mean it was committed by an alcoholic. Alcoholism is a life long struggle, a life long disease with no cure. I 've watched more than one family member die from the effects.

Please educate yourself a bit on alcoholism. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alcoholism/DS00340

It's not pretty. He does deserve compassion for it as there is no cure. Alcoholics do not have the same response to alcohol that regular citizens do.

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
Are you trying to say that alcholics don't commit crimes? Because otherwise I think my point still stands.

I have no pity for drunk drivers and think they deserve as much compassion as the next attempted/accidental murderer.

Alcholics who don't turn their vehicle and themselves into weapons I can be compassionate about.

ETA: I have plenty of personal experience with alcholics, alcholism, and alchol related deaths, not to mention alchol related rapes... thank you very much. It sucks for everyone involved. But when people allow alchol to lead them to harm others... it being a disease is no excuse.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts