Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya'll,

This will be my first attempt making soap. It will be for my personal use (I might branch out later). I have been using homemade soap that I have gotten off eBay for the last six months, I even got my mother hooked. I started looking for a better price when I realized I could make it cheaper than buying it.
That is how I got to this point. I am planning on making my soap the second week of November with the help of my sister-in-law. And I have a few questions about the recipe I am going to use. Here is the recipe:

Sudsy All-Vegetable (Kathy ******)

24 ounces coconut oil
24 ounces olive oil
18-20 ounces soybean or canola oil (18 will yield a slightly harder finish)
16 ounces palm oil
24-26 ounces cold water
12 ounces lye crystals

Temps 100-120 degrees (varies according to what you use for fragrance... some fragrance oils work at higher temps)

I plan on using canola oil.

Here are the questions that I have:

1. I don't think this is superfatted. Should I superfat it? If so, with what? I have castor oil and shea. And how much should I add?

2. On the internet, what is a good realiable lye calculator to use?

3. I am going to scent this with Oatmeal Milk & Honey FO from The Soap Dish, how much do I use for this recipe?

4. How do I cut a recipe in half?

5. For the mold, I am going to use those cardboard pop flats (I think). How do I figure out how many I need?

That is all for now. I might have more questions after ya'll reply.

Thanks,
Sandi

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.