Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
making soy milk?

well i made my first batch of soy milk the other day. rather tasteless but hey, it fixed my milk craving so that i could have some cereal. havent' had milk in almost a month. question: what do i do with all the soy pulp?

help most appreciated
thanks
aravinda

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
soy pulp (okara) makes the most amazing tempeh! You can get the starter here: http://www.healthy-eating.com/soy_foods.html

I would also use it to make veggie burgers, but first you need to steam or pressure cook the okara first because it will not cook enough in the pan. Put the okara in a bowl and steam/pressure cook until it loses its beany flavor. Then chop up celery, carrots, and onion really fine (food processor is good for this) and then mix into the okara. Mix in a bit of flour to bind it together, and add seasonings like salt, pepper, herbs, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, etc. You can make it taste pretty much however you want, and you can look at different veggie burger recipes for seasoning ideas. I would also sometimes add rolled oats and nuts/sunflower seeds in there too. Fry them up in a skillet and enjoy!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts