Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have a few things in our house that just can't be childproofed and we try to make them off limits to DS, but with no luck. I know, he's 1, perhaps I just have to deal, but if anyone has had any luck at this, I'd so appreciate any and all ideas!<br><br>
TIA

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
What are they? My ds does not respond to anything authoritarian from me, never did. Baby gates and proofing were meaningless.<br><br>
What we did was to help him learn how to safely handle thimgs that might be dangerous.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gas tank nozzle and clothes drying rack are the main two that come to mind. The rack I can lock in a room, but as soon as I need to use it, he comes in and terrorizes, clothes everywhere, baby pinned under it...its unfortunately our only drying option.<br>
Gas tank is a small tank, he really wants to play with the nozzle and knob...the only way it will work with the setup is for it to be on the floor...no real way to gate it off...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Off the top of my head -<br><br>
Can you put a bunch of rags on the drying rack and play games around it, throw them off, practice being really gentle, practice putting stuff on the rack, etc? Can he have some clothespins to play with?<br><br>
Can you make a mock gas-tank set up to practice with?

·
Registered
612 Posts
It's been a long time, but what I remember of my son being little, what worked was for me to redirect him. On a danger issue, I'd say "danger" in a voice that conveyed it, but without sounding mad or emotional. Then I'd say "hey, let's play____".<br><br>
Also might work to provide a special, similar object that's just for him. I remember we had a rack of CDs, and I didn't want him playing with the CDs, so I got some old ones, cases and all, and those were special for him.<br><br>
Not sure how that might work, or really if it's even the best approach. I always tried to respect his desire to explore, and plenty of times we'd explore things together so they became more normal to him, and not be forbidden.<br><br>
Maybe you could let him play with the clothes rack when it's on the floor (assuming it's the folding kind). Or maybe he wants to play with clothespin on a rope. You cold make something up for him that would be safe. Also, just practicing "uh-oh- we don't play with the rack when it's up" and redirecting him.<br><br>
The gas nozzle sounds more dangerous. Is there a way you can block off the tank or nozzle? Like a box built around the top? (I'm totally guessing here- I'm not familiar with having a gas tank in the house).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts