Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, are you comfortable with having a male babysitter for your children? Under what circumstances?

·
Registered
12,662 Posts
I would. We don't ever go out, so when we do MIL or My dad watch the kids, we've never actually hired a baby sitter. But the teen who watches the babies and toddlers at my church during services is a boy, and he's awesome. My kids love him!

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Yep....in a heartbeat. I would under no circumstances hire a sitter that I did not know personally though regardless of gender. My most favourite babysitter when I was little was a teenage boy, he PLAYED with me, took me to the park etc.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustVanessa View Post
Yep....in a heartbeat. I would under no circumstances hire a sitter that I did not know personally though regardless of gender.
Same here. Anyone who watches my child I know and trust. It really wouldn't matter what the gender was as long as they met my other requirements.

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
My son was just watched by a teen boy babysitter on Tuesday evening. He is a boy who goes to our church and DS absolutely ADORES him. He works in the nursery, and I think he is such a great teen. I was thrilled that he was available to watch my son.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Wow. OP, maybe you didn't mean anything offensive by your post, but to me you are really lumping half the population into an implied negative category. How would the post sound if you asked "Just wondering, are you comfortable with having a female, AA, Chinese, Christian, Jewish, insert whatever here, babysitter for your children? Under what circumstances?

And to answer your question, my DD loves Jimmy more than anyone!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Actually, I would not hire a male babysitter for my current needs...

Presently, I am a single mama and my 2 year old daughter goes to bed early, since dd is used to co-sleeping on the rare occasion I have an evening function I need a sitter who I am comfortable co-sleeping with my dd and who can cuddle in mama's place if needed..... I just don't think a "male cuddle replacement" for mama would fly with dd while she sleeps.

All that said, I do know several male sitters who are amazing and very interactive with the kids they care for. And I would not be opposed to it when dd is verbal and my needs change ---- but like many have said it would always depend on the person.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
It depends on the person. I do understand there might be factors based on people's history that would make them more unlikely to hire a male, such as someone who had been abused. I'm not saying that is the OP, I'm just saying I could see it a HUGE issue for someone who has...

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AllisonR View Post
Wow. OP, maybe you didn't mean anything offensive by your post, but to me you are really lumping half the population into an implied negative category. How would the post sound if you asked "Just wondering, are you comfortable with having a female, AA, Chinese, Christian, Jewish, insert whatever here, babysitter for your children? Under what circumstances?

And to answer your question, my DD loves Jimmy more than anyone!
Yeah, my first thought reading that thread title was, "wow! How sad that when my little boys grow up someone might even question their ability to babysit based on their gender"

I understand for reasons like the PP who wants a cuddler for her daughter who could have a female preference...

What I don't like is the inference that a female sitter is inherently more comfortable and that a male babysitter would require special circumstances. Being male does not make you evil, lecherous, untrustworthy, incapable of nurturing, a sex fiend or whatever other possible reasons there might be to not want a male sitter.

Women are just as capable of bad things as men.

·
Premium Member
5,391 Posts
It would depend on the man. There are very few men I would trust, but there are very few men I trust period. I have a bad past with men so it takes a lot for me to trust them. However, I also am very picky with the women I allow to watch my daughter(well daughters now) and Im probably just as picky with the women as I am with the men. Either way I have to really trust the person to leave them alone with my babies.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Mums, hope you don't mind a Canadian police officer, father of 3 perspective injected into your discussion. While I do not relish the topic or the choice of words I will use to make my point, they are necessary. Please don't take offense as none is intended.

Your decision to employ a male or female child minder is your decision and no one elses. Please do not be swayed by opinion, rhetoric or logic.

Go purely with your gut, coupled with how your kids react to the sitter when he/she arrives.

Read the Gift of Fear by Gavin deBecker for tips on how to tune into your body's signals.

If for some reason you get the gut feeling/hunch/instinct that your kids don't like a sitter, cancel your evening out. Protect your kids at all costs.

Now, from my fatherly/policeman/husbandly side:

Teen-aged males, church-going or not, video-gaming or not, popular or not, will ALWAYS be curious about girl-parts. In this hypersexualized world we live in, boys are taught (via media, peers, school, etc) that the va-jay-jay is a secret place that is so amazing. Men cash in on their careers to get with the new secretary. Clinton and Monica. Kobe and the hooker. Hugh Grant and his tranvestite hooker.

And a teen boy, curious about what the va-jay-jay is, looks like and does will be hard-pressed to resist having a peek and perhaps even a feel if given the chance. Sorry to say, but victims of opportunity are pre-verbal female children.

And the same goes for girls, but on an apparently much less-common basis (based on complaints to police). A curious girl might be inclined to

1. (most commonly) examine a boy-child's penis,
2. (somewhat less commonly) maybe attempt to retract the foreskin (if so equipped) and
3. (extremely rarely) maybe exercise it's expandability by using friction to extend it (along the lines of 'oh look at that, 1" turns into 3" '.

Sooooo...... as a cop and father of 2 girls and one boy, I will NOT allow an under 18yo boy babysit my pre-verbal child. Even if my kid was verbal, I still wouldn't until they were6-8yo -- old enough to know and understand "bad touch".

After 18, you have to expect that the boy has already had exposure to the va-jay-jay (yes yes, let's save THAT discussion for another day) and therefore won't be so interested in my kids. Besides -- not many 18yo males babysitting these days anyway.

Also, be alert for "guests" that your trusted sitter that your kids LOVE allows to come over. That awesome 15yo girl that your kids absolutely ADORE might be inviting the 18yo captain of the school football team over after you leave. Tossing the kids in bed at 7pm or in front of the tube to watch Desperate Housewives while they entertain themselves.

Ok, thanks for reading and utting up with my non-MDC-usual wording and responses.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I would NEVER allow a teenage boy to watch my small kids and I would excercise extreme caution in allowing a teenage girl to do the same.

I also would not let my DS, as a teenager, babysit a young child. To my teen/tween it might be bad judgment on satisfying curiosity but for the victim it's life changing abuse.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post
I also find this to be an odd question. Why on earth would a male's babysitting qualifications be judged any differently than a female's?
really?
maybe because about 98 percent of all child molesters are male????

i love men-i have a precious ds, and a dh that i think makes the sun rise and set every day, BUT i am automatically cautious of any male who has purposefully put himself in a position to teach, coach, supervise, babysit, drive, care for, treat, or otherwise be around small children. it's unfortunate, it is. the men in my life are very nurturing, gentle, caring souls but the statistics are just too great to trust any other men to care for my kids. my dh feels the same way-his feelings are not hurt by it, and he would not be offended if someone else had the same opinion.

"mannies" or boy sitters- i would not allow it. im very very picky about the women i let care for my kids too-i wouldnt let a teenage girl watch them either, fwiw...

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by *Erin* View Post
really?
maybe because about 98 percent of all child molesters are male????
Yes, maybe so, but that does not mean that 98% of all males are child molesters. Even if it was 100%, it does not mean all, or the majority, or even a large minority of males are pedophiles.

I want someone I know well to watch my children. Man or woman. If I get a bad vibe, then they will not be baby sitting.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.