Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,725 Posts
My best friend is male, and my DP is ok with it now. He wasn't very comfortable with it at first (mostly because of what a pp said about emotional baggage from a previous relationship--he had been cheated on before). But we are all friends now. Sometimes things are a little too close between my DP and my best friend for me. I sometimes wish they weren't as good friends as they are, since my best friend and I don't hang out alone much anymore and I miss that alone time a lot.

The only real problems we've had about my best friend being male came from my FIL. He was convinced that my best friend and I were sleeping together and even went so far as to say that my DS wasn't my DP's child!

I am still very angry over that, and my FIL is not allowed to see my DS anymore.

But anyway, that's not the point. I just wanted to share my story since all the advice I could give was already given (and worded better than I could have
)

Good luck to you.

· Registered
1,725 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by A&A
I guess I'll be the oddball and say that I don't think opposite-sex friendships are appropriate for people who are married. I don't think there is anything wrong with your husband not wanting you to have close male friends. Just my opinion, not putting anyone else down, you just asked for opinions.

Why not? Just curious.

· Registered
1,725 Posts
No flames from me, A&A. I was just curious to where you were coming from. I don't think that would work in our partnership, but I'm glad it works in yours

· Registered
1,725 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pagan_princess
My best friend in the entire world is male, and I WOULD NOT give up my friendship with him for anything or anyone. Jeff understands and accepts it, because he has to. I told him from the get go that he would have to. He is mostly understanding about it.

But there are times that he gets frustrated. Because there are times that I am upset and I will go talk to Anthony before I do him. And that is mainly because where Jeff tries to comfort me, Anthony will tell me like it is. If he thinks that I am wrong or unreasonable he will tell so, without prejudice. And honestly, if it wasn't for Anthony I wouldn't even be here to type this so.....
Wow, I could have written that exact same thing about my DP and my best friend Nic. I have been friends with Nic since high school. Nic will always be my best friend, and although my DP was uncomfortable about it when we first met, he is cool with it now. I told him before we got serious that I wouldn't drop my best friend for some jealous boyfriend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Storm Bride
If a male friend put the moves on me, he wouldn't be a friend anymore. DH understands this...that's part of trusting your spouse...knowing that they wouldn't continue a friendship that showed signs of going out of bounds.
:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.