Mothering Forum banner

Male Role Models (for kids with two moms)

1K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Twylightdove 
How old are your kids?

At a certain age, as they get more involved in their peer group, they'll start being around their friends' dads, uncles, and big brothers.

The other option, if you feel that strongly about it, would be to sign them up with Big Brothers or something like that (or at least your boy) but I wouldn't do that because I don't want to support big brothers as an organization - they have a long history of being homophobic (at least when it comes to men - I believe they don't let men be big brothers).

Personally, I think this whole idea of "kids need male role models" is a bit of bunk - I think it's another misogynist and homophobic, heterocentric way of questioning lesbians' abilities as parents.

Does anyone worry about the male role models for families headed by single straight women after the man splits? What about, I see this in my neighbourhood a lot, families where mom is working hard to support her family, and her mother or an aunt and sometimes a sister and her kids as well all end up living under the same roof?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.