Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any thoughts on which makes the better indoor pet? I guess i'm just looking for reassurance, we got a new puppy last night, and he's definitely here to stay, but I have my mom's nagging voice in the back of my head.
Something to the tune of "oh no, not a male!!"

DH and I had dogs growing up, Dh and I had a German Shepherd together until she passed away in June. All we ever had were females. Our new addition is a Golden Retriever male. He is very good so far, takes to the crate at night exceptionally well. He's still learning to potty, but at 9 weeks, that's kind of expected. I forgot how much puppies chew though.
: We do have toys for him, and when he gets going on something he shouldn't be, we just remove it/him and replace it with his toys.

So my question is, other than the obvious, what are the big differences surrounding male vs. female? Is my mom just being an alarmist about it, or should I be worried?

·
Registered
471 Posts
The only difference I've ever seen is that my male dogs have been a little less clingy- more independent and slightly aloof. My female dogs have been more spunky and love-hungry- just a little more desperate for love. This is not a very big sample size I'm working with though. It could totally be just the dogs I have had.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Boys are the BEST...hands down. IME, they tend to me more snuggly, more loving, and just awesome companions. I've found females to be more independent and, frankly, bitchy

BTW, it's an absolute crime to post that you have a new puppy (esp. a fluffy Golden) and not include pictures!!

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
This is very much a personal decision. Most people like one gender above another--I like the bitches a lot more, but that doesn't mean they're better, just that I understand the personality and motivation and am comfortable with it.

Personality/temperament is MUCH MORE the result of the breed and the pedigree than the gender. So don't ever pick a puppy based on gender first--match everything else and THEN look for your preferred gender. I'd also say that if a puppy that is otherwise a great match is the "wrong" gender, you'd be foolish to pass it up.

Boys tend to be more overt, more physically affectionate, more "please let me love you!" Boys MUST have a role or job in the family, and they like to pick that role relatively young and stick with it. Guidance for the 12-24-mo-old boy is absolutely crucial. Boys are more fixed in their understanding of hierarchy, and they're rather primitive in how they respond to situations. They tend to barrel right in. Boys are very, very sweet.

Girls are less overt, more willing to walk away, more "please love ME." Girls are used to a fluid job/hierarchy (because in a wild pack the entire bitch hierarchical system changes every six months to a year as they come into heat and get pregnant) and are willing to manipulate and attempt to change their role or status on an ongoing basis. Girls tend to hang back and think about situations. Girls are often extremely nurturing; there really is a "mothering" instinct; girls tend to respond best to fewer individuals.

I personally bond much better to the bitches. I like a dog who will take attention and then walk away--boys tend to suck it up and then try to give you even more, then climb in your lap, then give you even MORE. I get "touched out" with boys. I also love how the girls are thinkers and reasoners, how a strong girl defines the entire pack, etc.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Right now I have my first boy dog...he is such a sweetie! Although I am thinking it has to do with his breeds/personality more so than his gender. I Have a 1.5 yo female terrier mix and I wanted another dog. I really wanted to get a male dog cause I have had issues (in the past with previuos dogs) with dog aggression and was told that female to female agression was the most difficult to deal with-I do not know if thats entirely accurate though. Our boy is a 7 month old shep mix of some kind and at 7 months is soooo much easier to live with than my older terrier mix--although the terrier is so very smart, and can be very sweet as well, she is definitely a terrier. Anyway, I really like having one of each!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I gotta say, he's really a sweet dog. His sister was brought along when we got him, and after meeting the pair of them, she was definitely more timid and afraid. He was nervous too, new surroundings and people, but warmed to us very quickly. Something told me that he was the better choice, for our lifestyle, and the fact that dh would like to try him bird hunting.

Thanks for the reassurance. It's just one of those things that parents put into your heads, and you gotta break the way of thinking.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Joanna, I agree with you about boys understanding the pack structure. Our male CWC tried VERY hard to be the Top Dog in the house until he was over a year old, but once he accepted that *I* was Top Dog, he hasn't argued about it. DH and the kids are just below the dog on his totem pole.

But our Corgi is not particularly affectionate. When we first come home he wants to love and kiss everyone, then he's back to his favorite chair. He comes running if we say "Topper, snuggle!", but it never lasts more than a few minutes. At night he'll crawl up to the head of the bed to have his ears scratched, then he's back to his spot at the foot of the bed (we didn't let him up on the bed until he was 2).

Sometimes I miss the snuggly Beagle I had growing up, but at the same time, I like having a dog that isn't always begging for attention, but willing to shower us with love and kisses when asked to do so.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thekimballs View Post
Personality/temperament is MUCH MORE the result of the breed and the pedigree than the gender. So don't ever pick a puppy based on gender first--match everything else and THEN look for your preferred gender. I'd also say that if a puppy that is otherwise a great match is the "wrong" gender, you'd be foolish to pass it up.
:

I think alot depends on the personality of the dog, not the gender, as far as their behavior. Personally, I bond best with female dogs, but that's just me. And they are, as my Hubby puts it, easier on the eyes when they're sleeping on their back
, but if the right dog came along and he happened to be a male, I definately would not turn it down!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I prefer males because of the pee factor in the yard. The two females I've had filled the grass with yellow spots. Drove me nuts!!!

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I went out looking for a male and ended up with a female. I'm glad I got the puppy that I got, regardless of the gender. All of my dogs have always been females, but I've loved both male and female dogs in the family.
I haven't noticed too much gender-specific personality traits. I've known male dogs that don't require much attention and never question my grandma's status as alpha, and male dogs that just never leave you alone and won't listen to anyone. Has more to do with their personality (and training) than their gender.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, it's been a bit over a week since we got Jack. So far, he's a really good puppy. There have been a couple of accidents, and some chewing issues, but he is a puppy, so it's to be expected. He's smart, wants a lot of love. I'm really looking forward to seeing his personality in a couple of years. Walked great on leash this am-not perfect, but again, he's a baby. I think Jack is going to learn fast.

I gotta say, when this occured to me:

Quote:
I prefer males because of the pee factor in the yard. The two females I've had filled the grass with yellow spots. Drove me nuts!!!
I was pretty excited! So far, he just pees near the fence posts~doesn't really lift the leg yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.