Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going through my mama cloth stash, which I haven't used in a really long time (from pregnancy and using a keeper before that). I realize I need to get some new pads for post partum. I basically use old towels and sweatshirts, and a few others I bought years ago and can't remember where.

So I need some suggestions for good soft mama cloth suitable for post-partum, and how many should I get? I normally have heavy periods, but plan to use the keeper again, except at night. It would be nice not to use old cut up towels and sweatshirts!

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
: I would like to know too!

has anyone tried those luna panties btw?

I used disposable pads after ds was born by c/s because I wasn't up for doing laundry (I bled heavily for 9 weeks post birth & my regular cloth just didn't cut it).

I honestly think I had one small trash bag a day of pads so that is ALOT of waste
: and I would like to avoid it next time around.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I used my baby's prefolds and washed them with the dirty diapers. I had a homebirth away from home, but did have access to a washing machine. I brought two dozen premie sized ubcpfs for baby and myself to use.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
With my first dd I had not yet experienced cloth.(though I used cloth on her bottom, go figure!
) I bled for 9 weeks! I started cloth when dd was probably about a year old and have used it ever since. I have a keeper and just two gladrags pads for bedtime. It's gotten me through though I have needed more desperately for a very long time! I plan on using cloth with this little one postpartum so I decided to make my own to save a few bucks. In my travels I have found a great pattern. www.diapersewing.com has a pad pattern that you can print off. It's SO easy. I used one layer of flannel for the outer shell part and 2 layers of flannel with a fleece toplayer on the inserts. I made two inserts for each pad. I've got about 10 pads so far but I know I will need more. I just bought really cheap Wal-Mart fleece and flannel. I tried using t-shirt material(I made some diapers out of t-shirts and liked them) but it just doesn't hold up well in the washer with only one layer. Gets all wadded up and won't lay flat. The flannel feels soft, washes easily, and dries quickly. Very easy pattern and I'm a slightly above novice sewer. Cut out pattern, pin in place, zigzag stitch borders, flip to right sides, and you are done!!! Highly recommend this website for mama cloth AND baby cloth!!!!! If you aren't into sewing your own, Gladrags are a bit bulky. I have heard wonderful things about lunapads though!!!!
Meg

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
stafl- good idea with the cpf's, I think that will work great in those first days PP. thanks for the tip!

faerybugmady I think I will go this route and sew my own too
thanks for the pattern.

btw I think I still might try the luna panties too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.