Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We used to have a thread going in here where we could let out all our mama guilt about things we felt like we weren't quite up to snuff on.

And I don't know about anyone else, but I could use the space this holiday.

I am NOT into the holidays this year at all. I think I would have cancelled them if I could have.

I have no desire to go out and do all the holiday things (Santa, lights, etc)

My kids are spending more time inside that I would like because I can't drum up the energy to fight with them about coats. :lol

The fighting....dear god, the fighting. I thought about locking myself in the bathroom.

What are you feeling the pressure (and guilt) of this season?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Thanks for bringing this back. I needed to vent about something. Although we have fighting and way too much complaining, my problem is...

My house!

It's completely messy, every single room. Plus we even had enough laundry piled behind that rats have moved into the garage. Gah!

And we finally, today, got a tree. Really about time. I feel better about the holidays now that we have a tree, I was beginning to wonder if we would have to skip Christmas. For which Christmas cheer I owe some thank you cards, better go do that!

Reactions: BeeandOwlsMum

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
@cynthia mosher, this is the thread. Its a small party but the vent was much appreciated. :) The holidays are so warm and fuzzy in my memroies, it makes lifes usual issues loom large.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes, many thanks! My house is so crowded with stuff, there is no room to vent!

I for one, love the Christmas season. But I was more than a little ticked when my husband said, on NOVEMBER 1, that we should start decorating. Guess who he meant when he said "we"? Uh huh. Here's where I mention our children are 4.5 and 1. And he said this to the 4.5 year old, who wanted to see the whole house decked out immediately. All I could see was dust and clutter, and had no intention of covering it all up with lights and mistletoe.

One and a half months later, I'm amazed at what I actually got done. And we are all still alive. No one ate any glass balls. No one chewed a light string. Not that I'm aware of, anyway. I even managed to dust a few surfaces before encrusting them with ribbons and fake frosted fruit.

Honestly, I like decorating. But I become a bit of a control freak and fall into the Martha Stewart trap of wanting my house to resemble something out of a magazine when I do. Also, we have this wonderful second hand store in town that is packed full of Christmas decorations this year, which makes it wayyyyyy too easy to go overboard with the hall-decking every year. And when you start on November 1, there is no way that you can't go overboard. Unless you're smart and just say no. I'm not, and I didn't. Still finding surfaces to decorate.

Then there's the baking. Another thing I love to do. But not so much when the toddler is toddling towards the living room and hot wood stove every time I think of pulling out the cook book, and the 4-year-old wants to "help" by eating the ingredients before they are mixed. Raw egg + butter + sugar = yum! The only time I would get to bake in peace is either at 11pm, when the children are more or less sleeping and the kitchen is cleaned up, or at 5am, before anyone is up. Back in November, I thought that was an option. Now I know better. I'll forgo the cookies for a little extra sleep.

As it turns out, buying gifts for the children has been the easiest part... maybe a little too easy. They are not into electronics, and I've kept the packages relatively small, so at least I haven't overspent. I expect the hard part will be finding room for all that stuff after the thrill of unwrapping is over.

As for the others on my list... that's where the baking was to come in. My plan was to bake a variety of cookies for everybody, packing them in all the wonderful little tins I bought at the second hand store. Needless to say, I haven't gotten very far with that. Cookies get eaten faster than I can bake them. I'd also planned to have DS paint a picture for each of them. Not happening. Well, I've still got a week to go...

Christmas cards? Also not happening. I feel a little guilty when I receive one of those "family newsletters" from someone, outlining where they've travelled to and what clubs, lessons, teams and victories their children have been involved in this year, while I've spent the year struggling to get my children out of their jammies every day. I've got a boxful of blank cards just waiting for me to write "Merry Christmas to you" inside, add a photo and address the envelope. Except that yesterday when I finally had a chance to sit down and get started, I couldn't find the pictures I'd had developed for the purpose (honestly, they'd been sitting on the same shelf for a month, only to mysteriously disappear when needed.)

OK, rant over. I really do love Christmas, and despite all this complaining, it makes me happy to see all those twinkling lights on these dark days. I feel all warm and fuzzy when rolling out cookie dough while the carols are playing on the radio. I have very fond memories of my own childhood Christmases, and want to create something equally as special for my children. They truly are aglow with the season. And that alone is worth every effort I put into it. And the fact that DH is really into Christmas too is something I am grateful for... even if I am the one doing all the decorating.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Everything Headforthehills said. Except i've finally accepted that there will be no Christmas cards this year. Just a Christmas email. Oh well. I was being hard on myself till I realized that I have 3 kids and the youngest is not even 1. And I don't send my kids to daycare so I am just basically cleaning up after us from morning till night, never mind actually getting any dirt cleaning done. And for Christmas dinner I delegated so all I need to make is some scalloped potatoes and a cheesecake. And you know what? I'm good with this too!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Oh, I am sooooo glad I'm not alone with this. Today I was getting so frustrated over the fact that I can't keep up with the messes and feeling guilty that I never did get those cards done. I was even in tears at one point. I don't like having the kids see me this way. It's certainly not in the spirit of things. Seems like we work so hard trying to create good cheer, that we wind up achieving the opposite.
Interestingly enough, I found that a trip to the very busy grocery store this afternoon actually made me feel better. People were in good spirits, and I saw a friend who spoke to us with such kindness that I felt much happier in no time. Some people just have this effect on you.
I think people will understand if I can't make Christmas perfect this (or any) year. I should just focus on making us happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts