Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having stink but not staining issues with my mama pads. When they come out of the wash, they look clean, but when I smell them, they don't smell clean. They smell like blood though really like iron (rusty nails). My wash routine is: I rinse them in cold water when I take them off then either put them directly in a dry pail or sometimes dry them over the shower rod then put them in the pail. They don't sit for more than 3 days generally. I wash them either with towels or diapers so generally getting a cold and hot wash. Is there something that will address the iron smell directly or am I just doomed to wash, wash, wash?

TIA!!

·
Registered
651 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much vinegar?

·
Registered
651 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristandthekids View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorie View Post

How much vinegar?
Enough to cover the bottom of my little mini-pail? I don't measure. Maybe a cup?
So do you use the same vinegar water for your entire cycle?

·
Registered
651 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I've been told to soak in hydrogen peroxide :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
@Jorie,

The problem is likely due to a build up of soap and other residues on the pads. "Stripping" them is what you need to do to get rid of the smell. Check out this link on how to strip cloth diapers, and it will work on your pads. Essentially, you need to wash them in hot water, with NO detergent. @kristandthekids: I agree, vinegar is helpful.

PS: I'd love it if some of you would share your comments on how you wash your mama cloth on my "Simple tips for washing cloth pads" blog post and video clip.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I change the water in my soaking bucket every morning and wring out the pads that have been soaking all night. I also add a couple drops of tea tree oil to the soaking water and that seems to dramatically cut down on the odor of the pads.

Jessie

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I don't use a soak bucket because my three year old got a bit to curious one day. Now I just dust the pads with bakingsoda and roll them up. I have not noticed any smell after washing them. I wash with baking soda and either ecover, biokleen or sals suds and then rinse with vinegar. Sometimes I just toss them in with diapers instead of storing them seperatly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If the other solutions above aren't working for you, give an enzyme cleaner a try (like Ruby's Red Wash, Bac-Out, or Femme Rock). These cleaners are specially formulated to get rid of odors/stains from bodily fluids. Use them in a pre-soak in cold water. Good luck!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEP View Post

I use rNg femme rock and it's awesome
I totally agree! It works magic on all kinds of other stains too I've discovered!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Maybe it's the kind of pad? It sounds like most folks are going through a lot of work to take care of their pads. Did you make your own or buy them? If you bought them, the maker should have a thorough understanding of their product and have good advice, I'd think.

I use Party In My Pants pads. I just snap them closed and either toss them in the laundry hamper, or set them by the washer. The next time anyone in the house does laundry, they unsnap them and toss them into the machine first. They're dry by that time, so no one cares any more than any other piece of dirty laundry. They go into the dryer like anything else. Then, they get tossed onto my bed for me to deal with when the laundry gets sorted. We all kind of do our own laundry, but end up with other people's laundry mixed in to make full loads and such all the time. So, it's just another item in my house.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunagal View Post

I totally agree! It works magic on all kinds of other stains too I've discovered!
Yes! It even got most of this horrible permanent marker stain out of a top I have!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post

Maybe it's the kind of pad? It sounds like most folks are going through a lot of work to take care of their pads. Did you make your own or buy them? If you bought them, the maker should have a thorough understanding of their product and have good advice, I'd think.

I use Party In My Pants pads. I just snap them closed and either toss them in the laundry hamper, or set them by the washer. The next time anyone in the house does laundry, they unsnap them and toss them into the machine first. They're dry by that time, so no one cares any more than any other piece of dirty laundry. They go into the dryer like anything else. Then, they get tossed onto my bed for me to deal with when the laundry gets sorted. We all kind of do our own laundry, but end up with other people's laundry mixed in to make full loads and such all the time. So, it's just another item in my house.
^^ This is basically my pad washing routine as well! I do a pre-soak right before washing (take all the dry pads, toss them in the bathtub in cold water -- or you could set a pre-soak on your washing machine if you have one) then just dump them in the laundry with everything else. I have some mild staining, but my GladRags definitely don't look as old as they are ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts