Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Gretchen and I am looking for some info on raising my preemie naturally, holistically etc. Oliver is still in the hospital and has reached 39 weeks or "term". He only has lung problems as of yet (knock on wood) but I imagine he's had some trauma being in the ICU for 3.5 mos. If anyone has ideas, iotas or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.<br><br>
peace

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Wow thats amazing, he must be a tough little guy! I think the best thing would be to find a good ND (naturopathic doctor or holistic MD) who can help him with things like homeopathy, and maybe also look into infant massage when you are able as that can help release trauma. My sister was quite premature for her time (but not that premature) and she lacked a lot of touch (they did not know how vital that was then and I am sure thats not the case with you) but definitely massage is amazing for infants, as would be reiki for releasing any trauma, and helping him heal. Hope this helps a little!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hi Gretchen I have so much to say, it has been hard to find time to reply! Here are some random ideas:<br><br>
1) breastfeed. If you have not been able to continue pumping while Oliver was in hospital, then relactate and use an SNS if needed. If they tell you he needs high calorie formula then negotiate with them fortifying your breastmilk rather than giving him straight formula. Whatever you can do will help.<br><br>
2) cloth diaper. It's better for him and not really hard.<br><br>
3) declutter and simplify. If he has lung issues then the fewer stuffed animals the better, and a decluttered home will be easier to keep clean.<br><br>
4) cosleep. You may need to use a bedside cosleeper initially if he is fragile, needs an apnea monitor, needs to be elevated, etc., but it will do you both a lot of good if you can work out a way to cosleep comfortably and safely as early as possible.<br><br>
5) make your own bargain with the meds, synagis shots, neb treatments, etc. I tell myself that my son would not even be here without drugs and surgery. So while I am not actively seeking ways to medicate him, I have to accept that he still needs medications. There are some you can minimize: for example, if you have him sleeping elevated he may need less reflux medication (assuming he will need it! Maybe you'll be lucky.)<br><br>
6) enjoy your baby, keep him near you and hold him close.<br><br>
Congratulations on your baby, I hope he is home with you soon where he belongs.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Congrats on your little miracle!!!<br><br>
My dd has special medical needs (outgrowing them) and the number one thing I can advise is, don't try to do it all. Just do enough to get by. Lower your standards for housework and such, do quick meals, it's okay if you have piles of laundry all over the place.<br><br>
Hold your baby lots and lots. Holding is healing for them. Also helps to reduce sensory issues, which your baby is at risk for. If he has reflux, use a front carrier rather than a sling until he can sit up on his own.<br><br>
If you are breastfeeding, great!! If you have to bottlefeed, try to mimic breastfeeding as much as possible. Feed him in your arms, skin to skin, and on demand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts