Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the planner in me has come up with a *new* concern...<br>
How do I keep baby from overheating in August?! We live in an area that easliy reaches 90 degrees and 95 percent humidity in August. What can we do to keep our summer baby cool?<br><br>
*We have central A/C that we set at about 76-78F during the day, but the upstairs is still pretty toasty and we'll be sleeping up there, and possibly hanging out for a good portion of the first few days. Is 80-82F too warm? should we turn downthe temp on the AC?<br><br>
*Can we continue to use our standing oscillating fan (~3 ft from the foot of the bed) or would that much air blowing be bad in some way? probably overthinking<br><br>
*what about going out for walks? will the bassinet be OK on the stroller frame, or will she get too hot? what about babywearing in the heat?<br><br>
*Will she need all those adorable baby hats? or will that keep in too much body heat?<br><br>
*what about swaddling? I was thinking just a CD and the blanket? or is a CD and a t-shirt a better option? I want her to still feel safe and secure.<br><br>
I am SURE i'm overthinking this. But for some reason, keeping cool just isn't as intuitive as keeping warm is to me.<br><br>
any BTDT from experienced mamas that would care to enlighten a newbie who's a compulsive planner??<br><span style="font-size:xx-small;"><br>
(x-posted in life with a babe)</span>

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">*We have central A/C that we set at about 76-78F during the day, but the upstairs is still pretty toasty and we'll be sleeping up there, and possibly hanging out for a good portion of the first few days. Is 80-82F too warm? should we turn downthe temp on the AC?</td>
</tr></table></div>
If it's not too hot for you, then it won't be too hot for the baby. Just be sure you have light-weight cotton clothing or do naked time with skin to skin contact.<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">*Can we continue to use our standing oscillating fan (~3 ft from the foot of the bed) or would that much air blowing be bad in some way? probably overthinking</td>
</tr></table></div>
We always have our ceiling fan on in the summer and it never seemed to bother our daughter.<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">*what about going out for walks? will the bassinet be OK on the stroller frame, or will she get too hot? what about babywearing in the heat?</td>
</tr></table></div>
I would stick to early morning or later in the evening if it's really humid out. For babywearing I would stick to breathable fabrics and just put the babe in a diaper or maybe a light onesie while being worn.<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">*Will she need all those adorable baby hats? or will that keep in too much body heat?</td>
</tr></table></div>
Probably not. Maybe right after the birth if she's not skin-to-skin. But otherwise they won't really get used.<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">*what about swaddling? I was thinking just a CD and the blanket? or is a CD and a t-shirt a better option? I want her to still feel safe and secure.</td>
</tr></table></div>
My DD LOVED the swaddle blanket. I always stripped her down to her diaper and then the swaddle blanket I used was from Kiddopotamus and was a single layer of cotton fabric. Not bulky at all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts