Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else? My kid is an addict, man. She is 2.5, an only child, and I'm a single mama/student.

The TV is on A LOT. It is an ongoing struggle around here.

Partly I like it because it gives me some space. My kid is very clingy and I feel like she wants constant attention. And I need some breathing room.

And.. she LOVES it. So if I say no, it's an inevitable tantrum.

I've been struggling with wanting to cut down/maybe cut out TV entirely. I hate to see her parked in front of the box. But at the same time there are things about it I find really helpful, and I've been unsuccessful at consistently cutting it down to a level I'm comfortable.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? Maybe we can commisserate/share strategies.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
My kids defintely watch too much tv.
They only watch the Noggin channel.
No commercials for junkfood or toys.
22m long preschool shows and then 8m of singing, and games. I love the channel, so do my kids.
I refuse to turn on the tv, first thing inthe am. It's so peaceful, I don't want to ruin that. I usually turn it on when I'm going crazy. (we live in a tiny apt.)
I'd say that during the week they watch about 2-3 hours a day.

When dh is home, he'll turn it on first thing.
:
I'm still not comfortable with the amount of tv they watch, and would love to hear alternatives to tv from any mommas who have a 4yo, an almost 3yo, and a 1yo with VERY high energy levels who drive me up the wall sometimes...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hi my kids are older now but we didn't have tv when they were younger tho I did have it set up for watching vids then dvd's when they were a bit older, basically there was no tv till kids were about 4-5. Yes it can give you space to get time to yourself or get things done but it does cause probs. I don't watch tv as I detest it and don't need it myself so I really don't like having it as the background noise to my life at home. I've just had a major battle to get them to consider their watching habits and we seem to be getting somewhere tho you need to be constant in your descision, like this is your alloted time for a day and it takes up tons of time just getting them to do it!! Also have tv free days where they HAVE to do other stuff like painting, creative stuff etc they usually love doing this sorta stuff. I'm afraid tantrums are gonna happen as regards this issue but once you get over that it does get easier.Once you get into the routine of tv not being on so much it becomes more interesting spending time with kids and easier but I am fully aware of how difficult it can be once they've started on tv(to me it's like a drug)and how hard it can be to devote that time but it's more than worth it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
We have snow on the ground 8 months out of the year... TV is a big thing. You can't spend all day indoors (for 8 months) and not watch TV. We LOVE noggin and I dread the day my girls get too old for it!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hi Mamas,

I stress about this all the time! We don't have cable or satellite, so DS (4) only watches PBS...but I still feel like its just a big braindrain sometimes. We've been in the habit, since DS was probably 2, of turning on the boob tube first thing in the morning. DS and I are very much alike in the need to "chill" when we wake up and take our time getting into the day. We watch about 2 hrs
: and then the tube goes off for the day. We almost always have a planned activity (park, library, community event, etc) that we jump into mid-morning and afternoons are spent playing with toys, reading, coloring, playing in the yard, etc. See, I'm justifying his tv habit and that tells me something is wrong. But sometimes I wonder if that feeling has more to do with worrying about being judged by other AP mamas rather than my actual feeling about him watching a couple of shows on PBS. We all strive so hard to be good mamas and b/c very sensitive to those areas that are deemed less than desirable by our peers.

He starts a little 2 1/2 hour, two day a week preschool in the fall and I think this will naturally cut down on his tv watching a bit. But I remember the days when I was preggers saying, "He'll never watch tv!" (Ya gotta love eating your words.)

OTOH, I know lots of moms who leave the tube on all day and their kids seem very well adjusted. I think its really a matter of balance. Sure, I would love to be a "tv free" family, but I just don't realistically see it happening.

Perhaps, for those that are interested, we could start a tv reduction effort. As for the difficulties of turning off the tube b/c of a tantruming toddler, I always have re-directing activities waiting in the wings. I also give DS ample warning that the tv will be going off after Sesame Street (over whatever). He's actually gotten to the point he doesn't say a word when its time for tv off

Sorry, I've really rambled here...but this subject really hits a chord and its good to hash it out with other mamas.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I'm here!!
I am a momma of 3 girls (5, 3 and 3 mos) and do daycare for 5 other kids. I would say the kids watch about 2 hours at the most/a day of TV, somedays we don't turn it on, and somedays, it's on way more than 2 hours.
:
But, it's hard right now with having my youngest, as she nurses, and needs to have it semi-quiet to nurse, and if the kids are fighting over toys, etc. I will put it on. But like you mommas, we only watch Noggin, and sometimes PBS. We have satellite, which has music channels, so we listen to the kids music channels ALL the time, I love that! Then I don't have to spend a wad of money buying different kids CD's!

I could never go TV free, I love TV too much. But, I don't watch a ton of it either, DH, on the other hand, watches waaay too much!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Well, I feel bad joining in here because it seems like you all have a better handle on it than we do....on the other hand dd is 10 and when she was 2 1/2 we didn't have this problem as much.

I struggle with this CONSTANTLY!
I feel like I am at my wits end...seriously.

DD has a list of disabilities and this is the biggest factor in getting her to cut down....well, we have actually cut down lately, but she hasn't cut down enough by any means.

With her anxiety disorder, her ADHD(which TV makes worse
: ) and all the other issues she has..... Well, it is super hard. TV calms her and we were told, when she was 2 1/2, by a neuropsychologist that it was good to use a sesame street video to calm her when she was really having a meltdown or whatever. Since her receptive speech (what she understands) was delayed it was impossible to calm her when she would, for instance, react to someone sneezing or coughing or the phone ringing. It could be impossible to calm her sometimes.

She is still that way today, just different now.
Also, she cannot do ANYTHING independently and never has, EVER. This is part of her disabilities she has, but I feel like I could go insane sometimes, so I turn on the TV.

I so desperately want to be like our friends who have no TV at all. I didn't have TV at home until I was 12 and then it was very controlled. I can only now appreciate that and I'm glad my dad stayed firm about that.

I just feel like we're not like everyone else and in some ways I do wonder how bad it actually is--- like instead of just thinking TV is bad, thinking about how this will affect her as an adult. Will she grow up to be something worse than if she had no TV? That's the big question for me.

We limit TV all the time and then we go back to being more casual about it. Then we go back to more rules again. It all seems rediculous.

I love TV myself, but I also watch too much and wish I didn't have it around to tempt me.........on the other hand I love it

How bad are we screwing up our kids or are they all going to turn out mostly the same as they would without it? And if that's the case we are spending way too much time stressing about it.

I feel like I do so many things right, but this is the one thing that drive me nuts with guilt on a daily basis.

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bump.

So, I have an update. The TV was driving me freaking crazy, she was watching it for like two hours/day, and begging for it for what seemed like the rest of the day.

So... I unplugged it, put it in the backroom, and told her the TV is saying bye-bye. I've been letting her listen to some of her favourite Dora shows on the computer, with no video, so it's more like a book on tape and she doesn't sit in one spot entranced.

It has been a lot easier than I imagined, and I am thrilled about the decision.

I brought the TV back out the other night coz my roommate got home from a trip away and objected, but I've hidden it in a cabinet and my dd doesn't know it is there. So we watch it at night when she is asleep.

My house is a lot more peaceful right now.

·
Premium Member
11,443 Posts
Hey, babe! We will commence detoxing from TV on Monday, August 21st. At such time, TV will be off except for one half hour of spongebob (I know, bash me, if you will!
)....

Good to see you.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
My DS would watch tv from the time he gets up until long after he should be in bed. I try to keep him watching only videos so I don't have to deal with the commercials and all the violence that is on a lot of tv. I do let him watch pbs in the morning. But I would be really really happy if he didn't watch tv at all. It's hard. My DH is a computer addict. If I want any time to myself I have to let DS watch tv because DH is not going to get off the computer long enough to entertain him. And he doesn't sleep at night. He's still up now at 11:00. He won't settle down until we go to bed. Which is gonna be real soon now, cause Mama is tired.

Kathi

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
a friend of mine used to sum it up very nicely - its only half a statement to say "no tv" you then have to be ready to say "let's do ____" direct them into the something else

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
oh it feels good to be able to admit we have this problem! I have been a bit hesitant to ask for advice about it because I don't really think there is much that can be done in my situation but maybe we can commiserate and come up with some creative solutions.

I had no intentions of starting ds on TV at all- but he stays with my great-grandmother for 5 hours a day during the weekdays so that I can go to school. She is old and gets tired easily so she started letting him watch TV shows on the Noggin channel so that he would sit still and not wear her out. Now that he knows what TV is he will walk over to the TV and point and grunt and cry if I don't let him watch it and cries until I put whatever movie he wants to watch in. I don't want to be mean to him and make him have a tantrum because he'll just learn that mama is mean and won't let him have TV but Granny will KWIM? I can't tell my grandma to not let him watch it because it would make things a lot harder on her and I already feel bad about how much he wears her out even with the TV.

The one good thing is that it usually doesn't hold his attention that much, he will go around the room playing with his toys until a song comes on and then look back and watch it. If the TV is on he will usually stay in the room it is in which saves me from chasing him around the house all day long. Since all this has started I have realized that it is a way to buy myself some personal time- so I'll pop a video in if I am having a hard day or have a lot of homework but I hate to be "one of those parents who uses the TV as a babysitter."

I'm glad to know I'm not the only MDCer with this problem!

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LoveChild - I wouldn't feel too badly about saying "no" to him when he is at home. My child goes back and forth from her father's place to mine, and I think they easily pick up that there are different rules at different houses, yk?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Mammas! I am in the same boat!

In trying to get my real estate business off the ground, I started to rely on the TV way too much. It is really hard to do any work, etc., with a toddler. I am so happy he started pre-school...I can focus on my work and he gets to have fun and learn.

Another thing that I did today, was cancel cable in the tv he watches most. The tv does not work...I can only use tapes that last 30minutes. I find it controls me better, when I realize how many tapes I am using...

It worked well today...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thismama
My kid is an addict, man. The TV is on A LOT. It is an ongoing struggle around here.

Partly I like it because it gives me some space. My kid is very clingy and I feel like she wants constant attention. And I need some breathing room.

And.. she LOVES it. So if I say no, it's an inevitable tantrum.

I've been struggling with wanting to cut down/maybe cut out TV entirely. I hate to see her parked in front of the box. But at the same time there are things about it I find really helpful, and I've been unsuccessful at consistently cutting it down to a level I'm comfortable.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? Maybe we can commisserate/share strategies.
Boy can I relate! My DS never watched TV until he was almost 2 years old. We were in the process of moving out of state at the time and my DH had already started his new job which left me alone with a toddler to pack up the house. The only way I could get anything done was to introduce DS to Sesame Street. That was the beginning of the end.
: Nowadays I need the TV in order to put DD down for naps. Otherwise DS will keep bothering her, and she won't sleep. After she's asleep though it's a challenge to get DS to turn the TV off. We have the TV mounted on the wall now so he can't turn it on himself anymore (we put the remote up high), but we still have to deal with the tantrums. Wish I had a magic trick for getting rid of the tantrums. LOL You're definitely not alone.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I'm hoping we can watch less TV once school starts back up- for now, it's hard to say no to the TV when I feel like total crap and I'm just struggling to stay awake until their bedtime.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I so need this tribe. About a year ago, we (well the kids at least) were TV free. It lasted almost 5 months, but by the time baby #3 was born, I was too tired and totally out of ideas. Now, it's a daily battle. DS is very good at self-regulating and will voluntarily turn off the TV and say, "Let's play now." But DD would sit rooted to the tube all day if I let her. And the tantrums when I turn it off are AWFUL! If she gets hurt, she'll cry and then say, "It will feel better with Dora!" Nice try, sister! I've got to get a handle on it again. Time to unplug the set and unscrew the cable connection, again.....

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
We've gone back and forth between TV free and too much tv over the years. We actually spent 2 years TV free but now my dd is addicted and I am addicted as well, not just to watching it myself but to letting her watch too much of it so I can get stuff done. (We are selling our home, fixing up a new home, I am packing, cleaning, and working on home repairs for hours everyday... and unfortunately, relying on the TV to allow me to do it.)

In my experience, the only way we can limit tv is to unplug it and pack it away like thismama did. Otherwise dd asks for it *constantly*. cold turkey is only rough for a couple days, limiting tv makes it a constant daily battle.

We are giving it up again soon, but not yet. I can't yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
today we had a break thought tv has been on only 1 hour today and that waas in two different time of the day and its almost 3 pm so thanks the Lord we had a TV breakthough, its been tough but its possible!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts