Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both of my babies have been born substantially past their EDDs. I always had kind of irregular cycles and never kept track of when I ovulated.
This time I was charting and I know exactly when I conceived. I used that date to calculate my EDD for this little one. However, I still have it in my mind that this baby won't arrive until after my due date, but I'm starting to wonder if I might actually give birth a lot closer to the EDD since I know for sure when I conceived.

So, if you knew your date of conception, did your baby arrive on time?
How did it compare to any babies who you conceived without knowing exactly what date?

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
ds was born 1 day past his EDD. I charted and used the clear plan monitor when TTC both times. my cycles are usually like clockwork though if that makes a difference? I am curious to see when this baby will come! I think it will be much later than last time though!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Im no help here but am wondering the same thing. With my first, I had no idea when I concieved, was about five weeks along before I even suspected. With my second, I vaugely knew, I had charted but wasn't officially but still knew by the signs basically when I ovulated. With this baby I know exactly what day I concieved on. My first two were born at 39 weeks. Im 39 weeks now and nothing......am wondering if my due date is more accurate this time and therefore he'll be on time?

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I charted and was 10 days early according to LMP EDD based on standard 28 day cycle. However, according to the chart, I O'd on CD18, so he was really more like 2 weeks early. I didn't chart with dd and wasn't 100% sure of my LMP (but knew +/- a day), but knew exactly which day she was conceived (the only day we had sex that month :LOL) and she was 4 days past her EDD.

If I hadn't been charting I'd wonder if my dates were off because he didn't have any vernix when he was born and he was 9lbs 3oz, which is bigger than dd was at 4 days late, and has been able to lift his head up pretty much from birth.

I think each baby grows at his/her own rate and while it's fun to guess, there's really no telling :LOL

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
According to my charts, my due date was March 23rd. I went into labour at midnight of March 23rd, but had a 36 hour labour, so she was actually born on the 24th.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
In both my pregnancies, my edd's were calculated based on conception date. My first dd was due on 5/10 and born on 5/22, but she was malpositioned, stuck, and definitely post-date (peely hands, no vernix, etc.). My second dd was due 11/9 and born 3 a.m. on 11/10.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I knew exactly when I conceived - charted and used OPKs (and only had sex once - grin). Bella was nine days post dates.....but I ovulate late -between CD 19/22 and have long cycles - 35days+, and I have read that people with late ovulation/long cycles often have longer gestation, anyone else know anything about this?

I'm preparing to be post dates with this one too - (due in July). If I go early, it will be a nice surprise, if not I"ll be prepared!

Jeanette

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
i ovulated at day 14 and we had fun "practicing" making a baby that day, too. according to my calculations, our babe was born exactly 39 weeks and 3 days later (add 2 weeks for calculated gestational age). according to the mystical "pregnancy wheel" that our midwives used, he was born at 41 weeks and 1 day.

warmly,
claudia

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Well, unfortunately, neither of mine were anywhere near their due dates! I didn't chart for my first, but I'm pretty sure about when she was conceived. Her due date was 12/02 and she was born four weeks early on 11/04.

This time around I charted, and according to charting she was due 2/7, but according to my doctor, 2/9. She was 7 weeks early, on 12/21 (which ends up being 33 weeks to the day if you go by my charting).

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lousli! Congratulations! I hope all is going well with your sweet preemie.
I guess that diaper I sent you doesn't fit too well. :LOL

Thanks for the input, mamas! Judging from what I see here, babys' birthdays are just plain unpredictable no matter what kind of info you have.I'll keep thinking 42 weeks, so I don't get too impatient, but I'll set up my tub at 37!

·
Registered
792 Posts
I only charted w/ my last PG. She was born the day before her conception EDD.

I know my 1st was conceived on Nov 7-10(DTD only once that month on the 7th), which would have put her true EDD at July 30th - Aug 2nd. My OB didn't care that I O at CD 21, so she went by LMP, which was EDD of July 24. She had me induced on July 29. I wasn't actually even late yet. That induction failed.

We needed an U/S to get an EDD for my 2nd baby. She was born completely on her own ON that EDD.

If I had another baby(we're done), I would bet BIG money that it would come right around my EDD.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I did not chart w/my 1st (unkown conception date as well, our pill/Europe baby!). EDD choosen via early ultrasound. He came at 41wks 1 day after castor oil induction. The nurses/doc felt he was more like over 42 + weeks gestation based on post-birth exam.

I did chart (w/temps) for #2, ovulated on day 14 like clockwork, 28 day cycle, and babe was born at 42wks 2 days AGAIN after castor oil induction. Midwives felt babe looked 41 weeks, not 42+, and knowing my baby girl, she would have stayed in even longer if I had let her.

I really think all babies know how long they need to cook and some just cook longer than others. But alot of "late" babies are not really "late" but mom's cycle simply isn't the "28 day cycle" that the med community is obsessed with and has based all charts on.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Good point on the dates! My fertility was still returning due to bf. I concieved the first cycle my luteal phase was long enough to do so and I o on day 22, not 14. I was worried about them placing my edd too early, then wanting to induce based on that so I insisted on dating via u/s. That date was only two days ahead of my date so I was good with that. Based on u/s Im due on jan. 3rd, exactly 40weeks from conception would be jan. 5th. My first two were born five and seven days before edd respectively, but I wasnt charting with them. Both dates were based on u/s. (ds's edd was changed by five days at his u/s). Im within three to five days of my edd now, depending of which one you use. So far though, he's still hanging in there!

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I charted both times and knew when I conceived. The first baby was 10 days late based on all that and the 2nd was 1 day late based on that info.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I knew exactly when my first two were conceived, and they came 4 days before and 7 days before their due dates. I am not so sure about this one, my chart was wonky - but she came 8 days before what I thought to be her EDD.

It seems to be genetic to deliver slightly before EDD for my family - happened to my mom and my aunts, too.

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
Ds I didn't chart.

DD#1 We charted and we only had intercourse 1 time that month, and she was 4 days after the edd.

DD#2 We charted and she was 15 days before the edd and definitely early. She was covered in a thick coat of vernix!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.