Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mamas who vax, quick help please!!!<br>
------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
We are selectively vaxing our 21 month old son. So far,we had only done the hib, and planned either the DT or Dtap being next, in February. However, last night he cut his finger pretty badly on my shaving razor, and after talking to the doctor, they advised coming in an getting his shot today. However, I was still in the research phase of which version to give him. Now, I have to decided by tonight!!! I'm leaning towards just the DT, if I remember right, it is much lower risk than the DTap?<br><br>
You guys are always so helpful, and advice would be great. All my books are at home, and we go right to the doctor after work. I appreciate it! :)<br><br>
becca

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
ouch! Hugs to your little one. Do a search on this forum for tetanus info. There was a good thread going a few months ago. There is no risk for tetanus in a wound that bleeds (which I assume this one did.) So I wouldn't traumatize the kiddo any more right now.<br><br>
good luck and hope he feels better soon.<br><br>
-Angela

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
My son at age 16 mo fell and cut his mouth on a rusty piece of rebar in our yard, I actually asked both the ER doctor and our family practice doctor about him needing a tetanus shot, the ER doctor said they don't carry pediatric vaccines in the ER (which is just good information to know) and both said it could wait it was not needed ASAP as many of us are accustom to hearing.<br><br>
Now he did already have one dose so maybe that was it, but from what I understand immunity is not gained by a single dose of DT or DTaP, that is why it is on the schedule multiple times and if you start late you still need the five doses from what I understand.<br><br>
So maybe you don't need to panic and make your decision right now. Additionally, maybe your local health department has just tetanus, single vaccines are better than the mulitple ones.<br><br>
Of course this information is probably more puzzling than helpful. But I hope you come to a decision that you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
The tet shot is not needed.The doctors are just jumping on the chance to get another dose into your child.DT has thimerosal in it. My son was 9mo when he cut his thumb on a 20+ year old toy stove.The doctor never ever mentioned a tet shot,and this cut was quite big/deep. Ofcourse it is up to you,but imo,no shot is needed.

·
Registered
650 Posts
poor baby!<br>
tetanus is pretty awful, but it comes from spores on the dirt/ground I believe not from razors. Razors are more of a hep b concern...<br><br>
as long as you don't go overboard and get a ton of vaccines at the same time, a dtap would be fine, in my opinion. You can call around and see if any local peds offer preservative free shots, as some are available that way.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You've probably already had your appointment, but in case anyone else is wondering:<br><br>
A first dose of tetanus vax is not going to do any good whatsoever in preventing tetanus. It takes at least a week for your immune system to process a new antigen and create antibodies to it. iIf your son had already had a first dose of vax, his immune system would be primed. Giving him a second dose would have instructed the already-existing tetanus-toxoid antibody cells to start churning out antibodies, which they can do quickly. That's why vaccinated folks are usually given a booster shot if they've had a risky-looking injury, but if they've never been vaccinated they're given tetanus toxoid immune globulin instead (pre-made antibodies).<br><br>
But as others have posted, a razor cut is not something that carries a high risk of tetanus. In order for tetanus spores to generate and start producing toxin, they need a deep wound with little blood flow and air circulation -- think puncture wound, stab wound, or nasty wartime injuries. A razor cut is shallow and clean, and the risk is minimal.<br><br>
Hope the appointment went well, and your son is healing quickly!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts