Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Bella in the hospital, but I can't for the life of me remember what I wore in the hospital for the next two days. Do you remember if you got to wear your own pajamas or if you wore a hospital gown? And if you did get to wear your PJs, did it make a difference if you wore PJ pants, or do you really recommend a nightgown? I can't believe I don't remember this, but I was in a LOT of pain after Bell was born, and no one had told me anything about postpartum recovery, so what I DO remember is being completely blindsided on pretty much an hourly basis by some new postpartum discovery, LOL! Oh yeah, and learning how to BF from my drive-by lactation consultant
I'm sure only being given maybe 6 contractions to push through before she was vacuumed out of me had plenty to do with it (fingers crossed that things will be different this time!).

TIA,

Melissa

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had 2 awesome hospital births
. For the rest of the day after their birthes I wore the hospital gown and their funny mesh panties with honkin' huge Tena pads. The next morning I was in my own PJs and they are pajamas, not nighties. When they needed to check on me it wasn't a problem to just lift up and pull down! Plus.. when I needed to go to the bathroom I wasn't trying to keep my nightie up and out of the way with my chin!

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
I wore the hospital gowns. Figured if I was staying there...they could do the laundry!

Except I used cloth dipes on my baby
:

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I wore hospital gowns (one forward and one backward to keep myself covered! :LOL ) ... I figured I'd rather get their "clothes" messy than my own. Those stinkin' hospital pads did NOT stay in place and I had to change several times a day. Ugh! The hospital also had bathrobes, which I used. I'd recommend bringing one just in case.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I wore the gown...I was just too lazy to change out of it after a 53 hour labor! LOL! I wouldn't wear pants...I was told to roll over for "the check" every 3 hours! Pants would have been a pain!

·
Registered
874 Posts
I recall changing into a big comfy t-shirt, and using those lovely mesh panties with the pads, but not wearing shorts or bottoms at all...although I must have when I walked around! LOL. I was mostly in their gown until then, though.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
With ds I just wore the hospital gown. I don't remember it bothering me too much. I'm thinking a nightgown or a big t-shirt might be nice this time, but may end up sticking with the gown again. My mil got me a nursing nightgown and robe when I was pregnant with ds and I never wore them because they were a bit too cutesy and not warm enough in January. I might just wear them this time whether they are my style or not.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
just chiming in as a postpartum nurse. i don't care what my patient's wear as long as they are comfy. i wouldn't recommend anything with shorts/pants unless they are easy to get pulled down for the perineal checks. i wore nursing nightgowns when i delivered. they had gowns with nursing holes, but it just wasn't as comfy. our gowns don't have nursing openings and that makes it hard to breastfeed if you aren't comfy with people seeing all of you.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I wore nursing nightgowns, and I brought my own post partum disposable panties. I think kotex used to make them...anyone remember? If I were going to the hospital again, I'd pack 2 nighties, 2 nursing bras, a small box of Lanisoh nursing pads, and Depends...maybe enough for 3-4 days. I also like those stretchy cloth hairbands, and cozy socks. I have to pack a hospital bag anyhow, in case I have to transport. You might want to add a lightweight robe, at least knee length...longer if you don't feel like showing off legs that might want shaving. (I'm a vain cow!
: ) They like to have you walking about the nurses station, and I personally found that in a pretty robe you can shuffle about with some dignity, even after an unplanned c-section. I think that having my own things made me feel more like me...and less like a patient.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I wore my own nightgown postpartum. I can't stand the hospital gowns - I feel like I am constantly tangled up in them. ;-) I wore their gown while I was in labor, but as soon as I got to my postpartum room, I changed into my own stuff.

It didn't get messed up or anything. ;-)

·
Registered
706 Posts
I was in my own pj's as soon as they took out my IV and told me to try to pee! I'm only 5 ft so those things were huge. I felt much better in my own things. I actually bought pj's just for the hospital, that way if I ruined them, it wasn't a big deal.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ditto to every remark about annoying hospital gowns I was in the hospital for a long time before Ds#1 was born, no body told me I could have worn my own stuff. Being tangled up with wires and all that didn't make wearing those things with all the ties and snaps in the wrong places any easier.

For my second birth I wore an old button down night shirt expecting it to get ruined but it didn't so I'm gonna bring that one again for this birth. I haven't quite figured what i'm gonna do postpartum yet I want to feel nice and not icky. At my hsptl you have to change floors to go to post partum unit. After a few hours, maybe 3-4 I remember the nurse setting up the peri bottle, mesh panties and a bag of pads in the bath room for me. She told me when I was ready to go in and wash off, put on clean gown and then she'd take me up. I remember though not feeling like I could get clean enough,(tmi) the blood was just pouring at that time. I think I put the sleep shirt I labored in, a nursing bra, my own support panties and some spandex shorts on when I got to my room. I really wanted to take a bath though but my husband had to leave and he wanted me to rest while he was there and I wasn't going to send the baby to the nursery after he was gone so I could shower. So I didn't get to shower until the next day around lunch when a friend came to visit. Then I put on a granny house dress until I showered to get dressed to come to home the next day.

I guess anything that is comfortable with snaps or buttons to nurse will work. My biggest discomfort would be not having support panties to keep my pads in place. A robe is definitely nice for coverage or a hsptl gown over your own stuff would work too.

·
Premium Member
14,874 Posts
I wore the gown for the birth, they fought me on what I wanted to wear, and it pissed me off. After the birth and I was in mother-baby, I wore pj pants and a regular shirt. I didn't worry about bleeding on to the pants, I think I took two pair with me. Take something comfortable, and don't forget your nursing bra!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I remember wearing the hospital gowns. I brought a nursing nightgown, but felt I needed to be completely exposed to breastfeed, so see what was going on. I also brought a cute robe and slippers to feel more normal walking around the hospital. I brought my own fleece blanket and pillow which really helped me feel at home too.

·
Premium Member
14,874 Posts
I just read what Mama Nurse wrote. And I gotta say, I stayed in the hospital 3 days after ds was born, and don't remember ever having a perinal check after about 12 hours, at which point I still wasn't allowed out of bed. (Mag sulfate for 24 hrs after birth) So, this may not even pertain to your hospital. Or perhaps she's just speaking of the very immediate post partum period of a few hours.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I don't like a nightgown or pants in the very immediate post partum period. They just get in your way and get blood on them. I wore a really loose tank top and no pants and sat on a chux pad, which I hate by the way since they are plastic, but my hospital did not have washable bed pads. When I went to the bathroom I held the chux pad against me (a little awkward--but worked out okay). Yes, I went to the bathroom bare-bottomed! I was not too worried about modesty with the hospital staff--I figure they're seen it all-- and I only had 1 visitor for 15 minutes (I am not into visitors in the very beginning if it is at all possible to avoid/minimize their presence). You are tired and trying to establish breastfeeding and bond with your baby despite the frequent interruptions from the hospital staff. Company can come later imo!

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses. I think I'm going to buy a cheapo nursing nightgown on eBay and also bring a big baggy nursing shirt (my aunt sent me a bunch that I was just about to drop in a clothing drop box, didn't think I'd ever use them) and some PJ pants I have that are wearing out, in case they get wrecked. I'm MUUUUCH more partial to the PJ pants and shirt, but it'll be nice to have the extra option

I'm really glad I asked here, you guys provided some additional details that I had forgotten all about, like the mesh undies, LOL! I don't remember having any perineal checks either, but that doesn't mean I didn't have any, and since this is a different hospital, it doesn't mean I won't this time.

Thanks again!

Melissa

1 - 18 of 18 Posts