Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://health.msn.com/healthnews/art...ntid=100147696

I am new to all this circ stuff, but come ON- so it is perfectly ok to do it to boys just because we use sterilized instruments and it is common practice, but a man gets 40 years in prison for circing his daughter- which he should!- but wth is the difference???

U.S. Trial Focuses Attention on Female Circumcision

An Atlanta court case is focusing attention on the growing practice in the United States of circumcising girls, the Associated Press reported.

With an influx of immigrants from certain parts of Africa, the ancient practice is slowly becoming more common in the United States, experts say.

The Atlanta case involves Khalid Adem, a 31-year-old immigrant from Ethiopia. He's charged with aggravated battery and cruelty to children for allegedly using scissors to circumcise his daughter, who was 2 years old at the time of the incident in 2001, the AP reported.

It's believed to be the first U.S. criminal case involving the practice, say human rights observers. If convicted, Adem faces up to 40 years in prison.

As many as 130 million women worldwide had undergone circumcision as of 2001, according to the U.S. State Department. The procedure is often done using knives, razors, or sharp stones that, in many cases, have not been sterilized.

Female circumcision is most common in 28 African countries, including Ethiopia, Egypt, and Somalia, experts told the AP.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was going to post about this too! I can't get over this. I'm not at all trying to diminish the horrific nature of female genital mutilation, but why don't people realize how horrific it is to do it to males too?!? Argggg.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
I also can't swallow the hypocrisy. My beautiful daughters absolutely deserve protection from this horrific practice. But how-how-how can I look into my sweet, innocent little boys' faces and NOT believe that they are entitled to the SAME PROTECTION!!! I'm glad they convicted that man.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I don't mean to sound so ignorant but how can you circumcize a girl?

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
Read the link provided for many justifications of it, along with clinical descriptions of the sundry methods. (We are OK discussing religious cutting of girls, right?)

·
Registered
595 Posts
I had no idea! How can anyone do this to their own children?
:

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerTail View Post
Read the link provided for many justifications of it, along with clinical descriptions of the sundry methods. (We are OK discussing religious cutting of girls, right?)
Yup we are OK discussing the religious cutting of girls because it's illegal and condemned by every sane western country.

It's called infibulation and it's illegal (to quote a Fark Cliche)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
UGH!!! I saw this posted on another board this morning. What really got my goat (aside from the actual story posted) was the comments by others posting in the thread. One poster was pissed that they called it circumcision...because what that dad did was "not circumcision, it was mutilation". I posted a response saying that circumcision IS mutilation...period. She didn't repspond to me, and I was very surprised she didn't. She did go on to say that what he did was equivalent to cutting off a a boy's penis
: Ignorance just frustrates the hell out of me!!

...and HOW IN THE HECK can the mom claim she never noticed until *1 YEAR* later????

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
It can be symbolic excision, de facto excision, or infibulation, just as male circumcision can vary from symbolic nicking of the foreskin to full penile and scrotal castration.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

It can be symbolic excision, de facto excision, or infibulation, just as male circumcision can vary from symbolic nicking of the foreskin to full penile and scrotal castration.
I know

I was using a fark cliche that was created when the whole news story about kiting becomming illegal in Pakistan because Kites were being used as weapons or something.

"It's Kiting and it's illegal"

Can be altered to say "It's XYZ and it's illegal"

Would you like some bike water?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Quote:

...but removal of the clitorus being equated with removing an entire penis. While both are horrendous acts of mutilation, they just aren't the same.

ETA:....just realized you weren't refering to my post specifically...I think..LOL

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
More information on infibulation can be found on the internet.
(More intactivism, mule!)

(No Frenchie, I wasn't
. I don't think.)

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Well I do agree that boys should have the same rights and protection as girls under the law and I think that any type of circumcision is barbaric. I do think that if someone circumcised their little boy at home with scissors they would more than likely be charged just like this man was.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhiannon Feimorgan View Post
Well I do agree that boys should have the same rights and protection as girls under the law and I think that any type of circumcision is barbaric. I do think that if someone circumcised their little boy at home with scissors they would more than likely be charged just like this man was.
No he'd just be charged with practicing medicine without a lisence. (IIRC there was some dude in the California mountains that circed his children at home and that's all he got slapped with)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Um, for the record, Khalid is still only being tried for this crime; he has not been convicted.

And according to other news stories I've seen, his testimony is that it was his wife and/or her family who did the clitorectomy.

In a taped interview of the girl from when she was around 3 (IIRC) she claims that her father did it. However, her mother had sole custody of her at the time, and apparently just didn't notice -- for about a year and three months -- that it had been done to her daughter.

In light of what I've learned -- and have personally experienced, as a child -- about Parental Alienation Syndrome, false accusations in divorce cases, and the installation of false memories into children in such situations, plus the extraordinary claim that the mother, with sole custody, just didn't notice the consequences for well over a year, I'm more inclined to believe the defense than the prosecution on this one.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandora114 View Post
Yup we are OK discussing the religious cutting of girls because it's illegal and condemned by every sane western country.

It's called infibulation and it's illegal (to quote a Fark Cliche)
I still don't understand why this post is allowed since it is about religious circumcision.

In my country both MGM and FGM are forbidden and yet I cannot talk about it.

I guess next step is that the word 'Finland' is forbidden too?

Or is it just circ threads from here Europe getting removed?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts