Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15446646/

Quote:
SALEM, Ore. - A man accused of sloshing fuel on pews and parishioners during a church service and starting fires intended to kill everyone in the building, investigators say.

Kam Shing Chan is charged with attempted aggravated murder, attempted assault, arson and reckless burning. A judge denied bail Friday, saying Chan would be a danger to the community.

Witnesses said Chan burst into the Peoples Church on Wednesday ranting about "the blood," sloshed fuel around and started fires. Two women were burned when their clothing caught fire. Members of the congregation caught him.
Looks like he did a pretty bad job of it. I'm glad no-one was seriously hurt.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
How awful, but.

Why do you say Christian tries to kill....the article says Man tries to kill....? Just curious.

He spent 5 years in the hospital. Was obviously mentally ill. I'm glad no one was killed.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Just being in a Church doesn't make someone Christian. Obviously he has problems, I'm glad nobody got hurt. Something similar happened at my husband's Church before I met him, a man burst in ranting and lifting and throwing very heavy things, they think maybe he could have been possessed or something.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
I know FIRST HAND how screwed up the Salem judicial process is, from the police, to the courts, to the jails and can't say this surpises me.

Quote:
State records show that Chan, 53, spent five years at Oregon State Hospital for the murder of his 5-year-old daughter in 1989. He was committed after being ruled criminally insane.

Trial testimony indicated Chan thought he was acting on God's orders. Mental health experts testified he had paranoid schizophrenia.

The state approved Chan's conditional release in 1995, said board executive director Mary Claire Buckley. Chan lived in Salem in a supervised facility for a year and moved into the community after the board reviewed his case.

"They had no reason to expect he'd engage in that kind of behavior," Buckley said. "No system is perfect."
UA VIOLATIONS, all of them. (I am bitter at Salem for releasing my ex from jail for beating on me too early - 9 days - so he could come after me again. And the battered women's shelter kicked me out cause I didn't have bruises)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts