Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
I looked it up after I saw this post. I really want to go. So much $$$ though. Maybe I'll start selling plasma or something
I'd like to, I'll have to see what money is like.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Y'know... no need to sell blood at all. I couldn't afford to go to anything for many years, so I feel ya'. I'm in a slightly different stage of life from others- my kids are grown and that alone makes things much easier, but I hear you...I truly do.

But you know, the MANA conference, itself, costs less if you join when you register- this qualifies you for the member rate (member rate before Aug. 1 is $295 for instance.) Heck the Midwifery Today Conference is much more expensive, plus the travel cost would absolutely kill me- I cannot afford that one, and in fact I have never been able to afford a conference before.

MANA's conference is in Baltimore which is a cheap flight for me from a city, nearby to me. Very cheap flight. First time ever that the travel costs won't kill me financially!

(Now, granted... CAPPA's conference is always free, and I wish I could go... but again, the travel costs are always killer.)

Also...MANA's conference lets you can split lodging cost (quad rooms so you can share cost with up to 3 others) so that makes it fairly doable.

I actually decided to go because I met and worked with one of the presenters in the middle of July- she taught a doula training in which I participated and which I co-hosted. There's another presenter whom I know- an old acquaintance.

Just thought maybe someone was planning to go. I'd like to meet folks and find roommates!

J.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Oh that's tempting... I had been planning on the MT conference in Eugene, largely because it's just two hours away by car, but, well, I'm gonna be a little busy in March.

It might be worth it to fly out to Baltimore, so I can get to SOME conference in the next year! Hmm... contemplates

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thanks for the info. I can actually get the student rate of $265 which would be a great deal. I am working on CAPPA lactation ed right now and going to the Farm for a class next month. I told DH about this conference and he was not that excited. I told him it was tax deductible and he kindly reminded me I have no job= no income
So I may have to wait a little while.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually registered today! (Joined and registered at the same time, so I got the member rate AND the lower "before Aug 1" rate also! I got on the list for roommates too!) They take PayPal and you can hook up your credit card to PayPal so that makes it simple.

Hope others will consider it. I would just LOVE to meet you there!

J.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I'll be there. Baltimore is only 1 1/2 hours from me so it should work out. I have wanted to attend other conferences but always couldn't because of new babies, money, or work. Keeping my fingers crossed, cause there's lots of speakers I want to see! Maybe I should charge it and register tomorrow to get the discount? Hmmm....I just might!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Susanrachel Condon will be doing a workshop on massage in labor. I can't recommend her courses highly enough. If the subject is of any interest, you won't want to miss her class.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds great. It's a pre-conference workshop on Thurs. the 12th in the afternoon, for those interested.

I will be getting there that day, but have other plans.

J.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i'm going! my friend and i will be driving down together (from cleveland). i just attended the MT conf. in march (in philly), and i'm planning to go to eugene next year, but this one is too good to pass up. i'm scraping together my pennies...

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the last day to get the "before August 1" rate! Tomorrow begins the "before September 15" rate!

J.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I really want to go. My midwife organized it, and it sounds amazing. But alas, I am going to the CAPPA conference and despite it being free it's still costing me an arm and both my legs....

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
im not going this year, but i am so excited b/c it looks like my school might host the 2007 conference here in florida!!!!!!!! probably in st. augustine. yay!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I am looking for roommates who have a hotel room for the night of Thursday, the 12th. If you are going to the preconference, and staying over for the rest of it...I'd be happy to split a room with you for that night.

I need to come in a day ahead because flights out of my area don't go out early enough in the day on the 13th to assure that I won't miss a lot of the morning stuff, and the conference actually opens on the evening of the 12th. I want to be there for that.

So if you know of a hotel room for the night of the 12th, please PM me. I would be happy to split the cost of the room with you and am fine if there will be a baby in the room... I have a room for the nights of the 13th & 14th but the 12th is still hanging out there.

Anyone? Just PM me if you have a room you'd like to share for a night! Thanks!... J.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey folks!

Just found out I have a room for all three nights I am going to be there! Ya-HOO!

See you there!... J.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I was hoping to attend the whole thing, but I also need to pay for my NARM application (700) by October 10, so I'm not going to be able to pull it off. One of my problems is that I am still nursing, so I need to bring along either my husband or one of my daughters to help with the baby which makes room sharing difficult. So the total cost is going to be too much

However, I think I will be able to attend one day, probably Saturday. I'll drive down in the morning (with lots of coffee on-board) and drive home that evening. Long day, but at least I get to go!

My preceptor, Judi Mentzer is giving a talk about breeches/twins. She is also giving a talk about what to do when stillbirth or baby dying shortly after birth.

Does anyone know if they tape at this conference? I know Midwifery Today does and I have listened to some great tapes from them.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maggi315, hope you make for Saturday!

fourgrtkidos, mama3peanuts...Safe travels!

I am flying down from up here in the boonies, tomorrow late afternoon.

See you there!!!... J.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
We're leaving in an hour!!!!! This is going to be a trip sans DS too...which is nice b/c at the MT confrence in Philly it was hard to really get into everything.
I am so excited!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts